Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Clutch went out in cold weather...plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Default Clutch went out in cold weather...plz help!

My clutch went out this morning...i think it has something to do with the the really cold weather. I just had a new clutch installed about 6 months ago. it was was about -30 degrees and when i first pushed it down it had full pressure and when i let off of it, the pedal was really slow to come back up to its position. so i let the truck run for about another 5 minutes and I pushed it again and it was better and then i pushed it down once more and it had no pressure what so ever. i check to see if the line cracked and there was no hydro fluid under it. does anyone know what is wrong. is it possible my whole clutch went out or is it just the line?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Clutch went out in cold weather...plz help!

Check to ensure that the master cylinder located under the hood is full. It's should be a semi-clear plastic container on the drivre's side fire wall. If this is in fact full, it could be an issue with the slave cylinder connecter to the clutch assembly. Possibly dislodged from the mount.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:44 PM

What year is the truck, is it new enough to have a slave cylinder on the transmission? I had a buddy who's did the same thing in January, it was very cold and he went out to start the truck and it went right to the floor. It ended up being the slave cylinder. They aren't to expensive, but it does mean work, same as replacing the clutch.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 AM

Its a 97 4.0 it was -45 that night.. I and it does have a slave cylinder and i think i blew out the seals in it....I just tried driving it to a heated garage by starting it in gear and the battery just went out of it.....is the slave cylinder located in the bell housing of the tranny or is it outside of the tranny....

Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM

My buddy's truck was a 96 and that was inside, I know they did put some on the outside, but I'm not sure what years those were. Yeah it sucks, they never break when it's 70 degrees outside. I have used the Autozone website to find locations of components also. It's a good website, you can get repair info as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Your slave cylinder is inside the tranny housing. They are a real pain to install (not bad if it is two wheel drive though) and a bigger pain to bleed. I'd recommend getting a might-vac to bleed out the slave cylinder, you'll save yourself a lot of time.