Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Gimme a break, 1 year old fuel pump going bad already?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Default Gimme a break, 1 year old fuel pump going bad already?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. I may have solved a starting problem that I have observed intermittently for the past three months. The starter cranks strong but engine only starts with assistance of jumper cables or engine starter. Tests have been performed three times now, ruling out battery, alternator, battery cables, solenoid, fuel pressure regulator, alternator belt, etc. I change the fuel filter regularly too.

Today, A mechanic did tests and concluded that I need a fuel pump. I just replaced the fuel pump a year ago!! Fuel pumps should last many years. This is frickin' ridiculous. I am past the guarantee period on my receipt, so I have to pay $300.00 or more to get a fuel pump again in such a short period of time?

Does it make sense that a jump start would enable starting engine with faulty fuel pump?

Where are mechanics getting these crappy sub-standard parts? China? In recent years , I am also hearing mechanics warning me about cheap parts used by repair shops. I never used to hear this in the past.

If it is the fuel pump, I am going to make a complaint for reimbursement if the shop doesn't make it right. A 3 month gurantee is almost meaningless when a fuel pump fails in less than a year.

Is it the fuel pump?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Default RE: Gimme a break, 1 year old fuel pump going bad already?

sounds like a dead spot in a fuel pump. It's a common thing, but usually jumping the vehichle doesn't help that fact...

I bet if you look into this a little more you may find that the problems a little different. Fuel Pump should last years, but if it's shorting out or something that will cause it to fry. I'd pull the pump, and actually test it, then test all the wiring going to the pump, if the pump seems to be running strong then I'd keep using it.

Something else you can do, if you still have the box the pump came in, assuming that it's from a respectable manufacturer, you should hae a 1year manufaturers waranty on it.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Default more info on my fuel pump problem

Captain Moe suggested that it really could be a wiring problem causing my fuel pump to short out. This makes sense to me. But I have another clue also.

I notice that when I first turn over the ignition I don't hear the buzzing sound which I believe is the fuel system pressurizing. I turn the key a couple more times and I hear the buzzing then and engine starts.

The repair shop that did the tests said the fuel pump was not getting pressure and just wrote me an estimate for replacing the fuel pump.

I don't believe in going back to the original repair shop that did the faulty repair if you are not comfortable with them. I had a similar situation with brake work. I had another shop fix the bad repair, kept the parts for evidence. and forced the first repair place to reimburse me almost $300.00.

The repair invoice charged me $126.00 for the fuel pump, so I don't know if this is an indication of its quality.

I am also wondering if maybe someone put sugar or another substance in the gas tank. Wouldn't this cause the same symptoms? But the engine runs great when I get it started.

Thanks,
Dave

I am going to change the fuel filter today and open and inspect the old one for contaminants.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Default RE: more info on my fuel pump problem

sounds like the fuel pump relay that turns the pump on when you turn on the key. The pump turns on when you turn the key and before the engine start so there is enough fuel pressure for start up. Its like drinking a cup of coke from a straw, have to suck up the air in the straw first before you get the coke. If ur not hearing the fuel pump come on but after turning the key off and on until you hear it, it means the pumps not coming on. Could be the fuel pump relay and jumping it just gives the car more power to get the relay moving on the first try.