Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

H E L P --> O/D light blinking when I am

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 12:09 PM
Default H E L P --> O/D light blinking when I am

Hello

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this issue I currently have with my 2010 Ford Ranger 2.3l 4cyl pick up truck
For a while now Ive noticed my O/D light coming on and staying on blinking...

The majority of time it will come on is when I am driving down the highway at around 55 MPH for 3 or so minutes. The O/D light will start blinking on my dash and won't go off until I shut the engine. One time it started blinking when I hit around 45 MPH..

I read up on it and I've seen it can be anywhere from tyranny problems to a dirty speed sensor. The truck shifts fine and doesn't bang into any gears so I'm not thinking it's tranny related.
When I first became aware of this O/D light blinking I went to check the Trans fluid which was SERIOUS Low, down past the hatch on the dip stick. I put about 2 qts of mercon 5 in it.
I thought the low level on the trans fluid could of made the O/D light start blinking & then after putting in near 2 qts could fix it and stop the blinking O/D from coming on but it hasn't stopped as of yet.

now I'm thinking it's possibly a dirty speed sensor?
I looked up to find where the location of the speed sensor would be on my model make of vehicle but couldn't get a good layout on where it's at.

can someone tell me where I can find the location of the speed sensor? On a 2010 Ford ranger 2.3l 4cyl truck

I'm all ears to anyone who may have any advice on this matter

thanks a bunch!!

-Kaytee

Old 01-18-2023, 02:08 PM

The flashing light is telling us there is a problem with the trans or controls.
It would be a good move to see what codes are stored in the vehicle computer. If it shows no codes it may be the system resetting itself until the problem reappears.
Depending on what code(s) are displayed will determine where we go from there.

If it is/involves a speed sensor problem , that should not be too difficult to correct. Sometimes a poor connection can be responsible , so we don't go replacing parts until we know what is going on. You might post the code here and maybe we can offer a suggestion or two..
Something to consider, have a trans shop do a few checks and provide an estimate to repair. Get more than one estimate.
We can't judge everything from one estimate, folks could have different motives.

In rereading your post, did you check the trans fluid level with the engine running at operating temp and idle speed ?

Last edited by hanky; 01-18-2023 at 02:10 PM.