Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Not sure new fan clutch is working

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Default Not sure new fan clutch is working

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6 and auto transmission. I had the viscous radiator fan clutch replaced yesterday and it does not seem to be working properly. I did some Internet research last night explaining the operating concept of the fan clutch. It mentioned a few simple tests you can use to see if the fan clutch is functioning correctly.

I hand turned the plastic fan this morning with engine cold. Engine was cool to the touch. I noticed light tension while I turned the fan. Shouldn't it spin freely while cold? Then I ran the engine till it was warm or hot. I hand turned the fan again. This time I noticed that the tension was even lighter with a hot engine. And I have not yet heard the characteristic "roar" of wind as heard when the clutch engages.

Something does not seem right. It seems that I am getting the reverse results when hand turning fan at cold and warm temps. Is there maybe another problem (other than clutch) that is causing this, or did the mechanic install this thing incorrectly. I just had the thing installed yesterday. It was brand new, not rebuilt. The mechanic showed me.

I want to sound knowledgeable before I bring the truck back to the mechanic.

Thanks,
Dave