New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

not sure

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Default not sure

hi i am new to this site and trying to rebuild my first motor ever!!! so i ran in to this really good deal but don't want to but the wrong parts. my question for yal is, is the early 70's 302 motors the same as the fox body motor? just want to make sure, can never be to positve.

Thanks Chris

Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: not sure

Welcome to the site.
I am not sure as well, but I know someone here will know.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM

thanks Chris

Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM

The early 302's were only slightly different from the 80's Fox body blocks in that the old blocks had a mechanical low pressure fuel pump that bolted to the block. Newer (Mid- 80's and up) Fuel injected cars had the fuel pump in the gas tank. If you put in an old block you'll find an improvement by using a fuel pump block-off plate and taking the pump off the engine. If you have an injected body (car) you will have to remove the fuel pump from the gas tank and install an aftermarket electric pump for proper pressure unless you are going to also drop a fuel injection intake on the engine. If you switch the intake and make it fuel injection you may want to have a machine shop bolt on a nice main cap girdle to make up for any block changes that came with fuel injected blocks. It never hurts to have the shop check the bearings, cam and lifters, etc. while they're at it to be sure you are set to put a lot of miles on. If you need to bore the block you may as well make it carbureted since the computers aren't easily changed to update the increased necessity of fuel and air mixture. If you put in good computers, bigger injectors and a larger air intake system to compensate - you'll pay (but you'll have it running nice). Another thing you could do instead of changing all that sh** is have the machine shop resleeve all the cylinders back to factory size for an 80's 302 block (maybe a thousandth or two under - since it's going to wear in anyhow). This will make all the stock equipment (intake, computer, etc.) work properly. For your sake I hope you have a carbureted body. It's a lot easier. Just put it in and if it's bored out change carb. jets and you're set.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:40 PM

no actualy, i have one efi and one carb, basicly i am trying to build up the motor's with just a little more spunk than stock. i just needed toknow if there was a diffrens i the block and youbroke it down quite well. thanksgoinstrong, you brought alot of knowlage on this one.

Thanks Chris