Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Transmission leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Question Transmission leaking fluid

Hello everyone im hoping someone can identify the parts on my transmission that started leaking today and what am i gonna have to do to fix the leak.. im attaching pics of the part that it is leaking from so u can understand what i am dealing with. i circled the part that the leak is coming from with a red circle and the parts circled in yellow are what seems to be like circlips or whatever they r called. the clips looks to be holding the round part in place but it is not seated correctly like it should be. can any one tell me what this is called and or how to fix the leak. thanks

oh i have a 1999 ranger 4x4 3.0l if that helps

Attached Thumbnails Transmission leaking fluid-transmission-leak.jpg   Transmission leaking fluid-leak.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM

It does look like a servo cover or a piston cover and it appears the retaining ring has started to come out. Because I'm not positive as to exactly what or where it is I think I would clean it really good and remove the ring and the cover may be under some spring pressure and push it out where you could finish cleaning the surfaces and there may be an O ring on it or behind it . If the O ring is not damaged all you may need to do is lubricate it push it back in without cocking it then reinstall the retaining ring in the slot where it is supposed to be. The slot may need to be scraped clean so the retaining ring will seat properly and stay put.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Thank you for your reply. very helpful information.
so in order to do as u suggested, would i have to remove the transmission cover & filter? and work from the inside at all or should be able to without removing the pan cover? thanks again much appreciated

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM

I can't tell from your pix how much room you have to do what needs to be done. Play it smart and get a second opinion.
Shouldn't have to remove any pan etc.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM

yeah im not gonna mess with it until i know for sure what to do. ur suggestions and info is very helpful and appreciated much thanks again. any idea what would cause this to happen like that?

yeah not much room to work with having the exhaust pipe running on that side heres a couple more pics might give ya a better idea how much room there is.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission leaking fluid-imag0708.jpg   Transmission leaking fluid-imag0710.jpg   Transmission leaking fluid-imag0711.jpg   Transmission leaking fluid-imag0703.jpg   Transmission leaking fluid-imag0707.jpg  

Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 AM

Retaining rings have a flat side and a beveled side. When installed backwards it can sometimes allow the ring to work it's way out. Couldn't tell from your pix, which are really good, if that is what happened here.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 AM

so the part that the retaining ring is holding in is just a cover? sorry just wanna make sure i understand u properly. thanks again

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM

well i think i got it fixed. i just used a hydraulic ram body kit tool & pushed in the cover far enough to pull the clip off then cleaned it up and cleaned the groove it sits in and so far no leaks. hope it stays that way. lol. thanks for the help.