Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Unsafe cruise control program

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Default Unsafe cruise control program

I have a 2019 Ranger, my first American made vehicle in a long time. Using the cruise control I first started to use it in the same manner I used the cruise on my German and Japanese branded vehicles. Hold the Set+ button and release when you get to the speed you want. The first time I did this I scared the crap out of myself. If you hold the Set+ button the cruise moves up in 1mph increments then begins moving up in 5mph increments. When I reached my desired speed I released the button but my truck just kept the engine floored. I saw the speed was set for 95 mph and it was going to get there. I tapped the break and shut the cruise off. Reading the owners manual that is how the system is programmed to make big jumps if you hold the Set+ (and I assume the Set-) button. I guess it's not unsafe if you know this, just don't assume it's the same as programming as European and Japanese vehicles and don't hold the button to increase your speed 4 or 5 mph, just tap it and release or you're going to speed up about 30 mph. Maybe not the safest way to program the cruise. Does get your intention when at 70mph your truck plants the pedal to the floor.