Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

weak idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Default weak idle

Had a weak idle-was very bad weeks ago. I kept getting errors that included the MAF sensor-but no indicator lights. So far, I have replaced the IAC valve, air filter, spark plug wires and plugs, the fuel cap, and finally the MAF sensor which I just got in the mail today. I have a fuel filter on the way. The problem has improved but it is still there. There was a check fuel cap light on a few days ago which was not on initially, but since I replaced the cap& reset there's no error lights on.
I will go to AutoZone now to see if there's any new codes. But I have a feeling it's going to keep saying the MAF even though that is not the problem-and maybe include a vacuum leak or EVAP. I don't know. The problem is not as bad but I know there's something else going on. It idles between 1 & 2 RPM's and fluctuates up & down.

Would help if anyone has an idea as to what the problem could be. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 PM

It would help a lot if you could provide some addl info like;
year, model , engine size etc.
Depending on the year a computer reset may be required because the computer thinks the same old MAF is still in there. Unless you purchased a genuine Motorcraft part many cheaper parts suppliers parts don't measure up.
Keep in mind a code does not always tell you what the problem part is. It directs you to the system that is malfunctioning which could include a sensor, related wiring, or even another component in that system that could be faulty.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
It would help a lot if you could provide some addl info like;
year, model , engine size etc.
Depending on the year a computer reset may be required because the computer thinks the same old MAF is still in there. Unless you purchased a genuine Motorcraft part many cheaper parts suppliers parts don't measure up.
Keep in mind a code does not always tell you what the problem part is. It directs you to the system that is malfunctioning which could include a sensor, related wiring, or even another component in that system that could be faulty.
It's a 2003 Ranger 2.3L

I ran another computer diagnostic & it says oxygen sensor& IAT sensor. I doubt it could be all these sensors...
The MAF sensor I took out (which I had cleaned before with special cleaner) looks newer than the one I just put in which is probably rebuilt. I got it because it was cheaper...($22). I did disconnect the red wire on the battery while installing the sensor...