Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Where is fuel pump relay for 92' Ford Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Default Where is fuel pump relay for 92' Ford Ranger?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6 and 4WD. Where is fuel pump relay for my make and model? I am trying to solve an intermittent no-start condition and I am going to take a chance on a $10.00 part in hopes that it will solve my problem.
I looked in the power distribution box under hood, but I only found the 30 amp fuse that serves the pump relay.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Where is fuel pump relay for 92' Ford Ranger?

Hi Dave..

That pic I posted earlier was for a later MY for thePower Ditribution Box for info/ID. purposes only.. The earlier models should have the relays on the 'underside' of the box... The fuel relay should be green.. It's very possible a pump/relay or circuit issue, but the current flow needs to be checked at the relay and/or then the inertia switch, and followed back to the pump/connector to check for good power.. These relays 'do' fail and a replacement may not be a bad idea in any case..

Here's a pic of the early Relay location/s

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/D99F7EB865D5498C9DDE5056677C959C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Default Thanks hayapower

Hey Rob,

got your response and latest diagram of the fuel pump relay. I spent some time poking around my truck today. Located tank connection point and inertia switch also. I half suspected that there was another chamber beneath the power distribution box. I could see wires entering underneath. I have to see if I have the right equipment to do the testing you mentioned. I have a Chilton's book, but you know these are not as detailed as the shop manuals from Ford.

I don't know where you got these diagrams, but these are awesome. Really helpful. I greatly appreciate your help and the other people who rasponded as well. I just might solve this myself.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Default To Hayapower:fuel pump relay replaced

Rob, I installed the new fuel pump relay today in hopes of resolving my intermittent no-start condition. I did notice a couple things about the new relay that concerned me a little.

I did replace the green one exactly as shown in your picture. I noticed the new relay had a different configuration than the old one. The new one had one extra electrical prong and two of the other prongs were offset in comparison with the old relay. The plastic box containing the prongs was slightly larger too than old one. It seemd to press into place ok, and the engine is starting up fine.

I found a multimeter at home that I can use for testing if needed. I have to learn how to use it first.

I know the auto parts store sold me the right relay because I watched him enter my truck specs into the computer correctly.

I just hope I pushed the relay into the right slot

Thanks,
Dave