Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

06 taurus no brake fluid to LR wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Default 06 taurus no brake fluid to LR wheel

Found LR wheel cylinder locked up and brakes and hardware all overheated.
Replaced cylinder, all brake components as well as RR, attempt to bleed the rear with no fluid getting to LR.
Tried to use a method of bleeding off pressure from RR, and then used a suction gun on LR, still no fluid.
Could it be the ls valve in the rear or the proportioning valve in the front.
In all my years at the dealership I have never seen this, now in retirement I am stumped.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:55 AM

There are rubber flex hoses going to each rear wheel. I would be suspect of the R.R. line being colapsed which could have caused the initial lock up and no fluid getting to the wheel cylinder. It can act as a one way check valve.Proportioning valve problems are also possible but a failure of it is rare.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+hose,1792

Last edited by raski; 10-19-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:03 AM

Already disconnected that from the hard line, at the top of the wheel well.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:50 AM

Without actually seeing everything we can only ask questions.

When replacing the wheel cyl was the nut and line rusted and twisted to remove the line?
Something caused the line to hold the pressure before work was done, did you have any fluid come out when you removed the line to the cyl?

If the ABS unit has a valve stuck closed , pressure /or fluid cannot get to the wheel, did you check that out?
Proportioning valve only works for both wheels .
Was the adjuster over adjusting causing the wheel to get hot and create problems?

You may need to trace the line all the way back to the ABS unit and see what you get there.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:17 AM

no, and that was my first clue something more was afoot, no ABS, and I have taken the hard line from the wheel cylinder that attaches to the lower part of the flex line and cleared any debris,
I was beginning to wonder about the load device for the rear, but that is rare as well.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Without actually seeing everything we can only ask questions.

When replacing the wheel cyl was the nut and line rusted and twisted to remove the line?
Something caused the line to hold the pressure before work was done, did you have any fluid come out when you removed the line to the cyl?

If the ABS unit has a valve stuck closed , pressure /or fluid cannot get to the wheel, did you check that out?
Proportioning valve only works for both wheels .
Was the adjuster over adjusting causing the wheel to get hot and create problems?

You may need to trace the line all the way back to the ABS unit and see what you get there.
Your first sentence hits the nail on the head. We cannot see it and all the facts have not been given. So we all play the guessing game.
A big part of a correct diagnosis is providing all information on what he already has done.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:53 AM

what other facts are needed??
I am going step by step.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:36 PM

I cracked all 4 lines from the load sensing device in the rear, and all but the one for the LR flows with brake fluid.
And I removed that a blew through the hard line and it was clear of obstruction.

Last edited by cubist; 10-19-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:43 PM

Old 10-19-2022, 03:03 PM

The only thing left for you to do now is to verify if any fluid can exit the ABS unit down to the wheel when the brake pedal is depressed

Quick Reply: 06 taurus no brake fluid to LR wheel