Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2002 ford taurus pully noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Default 2002 ford taurus pully noise

When I first start my car in the morning sounds like a pully is loose and make a squelling noise when im driving. Only happens when I accelerate. But when the engine warms up the noise stops. Can it be the idle control pully?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:38 PM

As you may be aware there are several pulleys that the one belt rotates.
One of the ways to pin down which pulley is possibly making the noise is;
release the tension on the idler pulley and remove the belt from any one of the pulleys. After you release the tension idler you should be able to rotate just about all the pulleys except the main drive pulley at the lower part of the engine(crankshaft).
Usually the culprit can be determined this way. You have the alternator, power steering, air conditioner and idler pulleys to check. Just make sure the belt routing diagram is present somewhere in the engine compartment before you remove any belt.
Would be nice if you shared your result with us . Thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Default 2002 ford taurus pully noise

Originally Posted by hanky
As you may be aware there are several pulleys that the one belt rotates.
One of the ways to pin down which pulley is possibly making the noise is;
release the tension on the idler pulley and remove the belt from any one of the pulleys. After you release the tension idler you should be able to rotate just about all the pulleys except the main drive pulley at the lower part of the engine(crankshaft).
Usually the culprit can be determined this way. You have the alternator, power steering, air conditioner and idler pulleys to check. Just make sure the belt routing diagram is present somewhere in the engine compartment before you remove any belt.
Would be nice if you shared your result with us . Thanks
Yeah I did undo the belt as you said and checked each one of the pullies and it was the idler pully the thing was shot so I replaced it and everything is perfect. Thanks for the help

Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Its sad that more folks don't reply as to whether our suggestions are helpful or not.