Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2008 Taurus Air Condition blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Default 2008 Taurus Air Condition blower problem

Here is the problem. While driving around town short stopand go everything works fine. When I go on a trip and run the air conditionabout hour later the blower stops blowing. If you put hand on the vent you canfeel a little air coming out (set on high fan). Then if I turn off a/c and justleave it in economy air after about 2 to 5 mins It starts blowing air the wayit’s suppose too. Then I turn back onA/C and after about hour or less it stops blowing again. Say if the blower control are 1-5. I have setto 5 but then after about an hour even set on 5 it blows at 1 speed. But afterturning off A/C and waiting about 2 to 5 mins on economy air the 5 setting runslike 5 suppose too.
I’m thinking that once the car cabin reaches the temp I haveit set too. Then A/C slows down but never kicks back in once it gets hot again.
Or the A/C is freezing up and once it melts it starts blowingagain.
I took it to Ford back in July after a trip and notice theproblem. They replaced the blower saying a resistor was bad. Which I did notunderstand because blower would work after I waiting sometime.
Anyway on a trip now and its doing the above again. Thistime when I go back I want more info to say to try to get it fixed right thistime. I feel I was ripped off the first time since it doing the same thingagain.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:53 PM

If you have what is considered a manual heating/ ventilation system with the blower set on high it should blow at hi speed all the time set there, unless there is a poor connection in the circuit to the blower motor that when it gets hot the resistance gets to the point that it reduces the power available to the blower motor. The hi speed circuit is a separate circuit because of the high current the blower motor uses when running at hi speed. Have seen where the switch contacts got so hot it melted the plastic covering on the plug. That will need to be checked and if indications are the contacts were overheated , a new switch and plug assy is required to correct the problem.
If the system is an automatic control system , then the temp setting needs to be lowered (if A/C) so the electronics can change the blower speed.

If the blower motor had an excessive current draw , that would be the cause for the hi current damage. If the motor was replaced and the connections were not, then only half of the problem was corrected.

Last edited by hanky; 11-07-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:28 PM

I have 2 control one for each side of the car. I push (click) button to change temp.
Then I have push (click) button that changes the speed of fan. It displays bars which goes higher or lower for speeds.

So you are saying it maybe my fan controller getting too hot so it reduces current to fan causing it to slow down? I want to make sure I get the wording right when I go back to Ford.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2015, 03:36 PM

Sounds like you have the automatic climate control set up and that may have a control module that is malfunctioning. If that is the situation it will take more to find the problem and correct it.
What I suggested earlier applied to the manual control system.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 AM

I'm thinking it has more to do with A/C. Reason
I turn on A/C and set fan to say 5.
After about hour fan not blowing hard at all but still set at 5.
All I do is click A/C button to off. leaving fan set at 5.
After less then 5 mins fans starts blowing fast again still set on 5.
Then I click A/C back on and everything is working again for about hour.
Then I have to repeat steps.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:24 AM

This doesn't have to be the problem, but an interior temp sensor that relays current temp to the control module may be sending incorrect info to the module or the module itself could be sticking where it doesn't react to temp or signal changes after an hour of operation. The system is great when functioning correctly, but when not functioning correctly requires some detailed testing to confirm just where the problem is originating and unless it is a common problem where a service bulletin has been issued a qualified technician may require some time to pin it down.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 PM

Well drove back home from trip today.
Weather was cool so only had to run eco air.
The fan never slowed down. So it must be something to do with A/C that causes fan
to stop working right.