Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2009 Taurus Transmission 6F50 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 06:28 AM
Default 2009 Taurus Transmission 6F50 questions

I have a 2009 Taurus. This transmission is used in other models and years as well.
Question 1: How much fluid drains out of yours?
Question 2: How long is your transmission dipstick?
My dipstick is 24" tip to tip including the cap, and I fear it may not be the right one.

I ask these questions because I got this car and the transmission had over 4 quarts too much fluid according to the dipstick. However, when I got it to the right level according to the dipstick, it acted like it was low on fluid. I put approximately the same amount of fluid back in and then drained it all and I got about 2.25 gallons or 9 quarts out. I'm trying to figure out if it's really overfilled or I have the wrong dipstick. If it is overfilled, why would it require over four extra quarts to work decently? Broken filter/pickup? Broken fluid pump?

Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 AM

After you finish draining out the fluid ,reinstall the drain plug, you can add 4-5 qts of the correct fluid , as shown on dipstick cap, run the engine at idle through the ranges Park, rev,drive, etc. several seconds to allow areas drained to refill, run engine to near operating temp and add fluid as req'd to bring fluid level ,when hot, to approx . middle of hatch mark on dipstick . Add no more.. Road test, if trans malfunctions , problem is not with fluid level.
Fluid capacity around 51/2 - 5 3/4 qts.
You might check with a Ford parts dept to verify if dip stick is correct one.

Last edited by hanky; 08-09-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
After you finish draining out the fluid ,reinstall the drain plug, you can add 4-5 qts of the correct fluid , as shown on dipstick cap, run the engine at idle through the ranges Park, rev,drive, etc. several seconds to allow areas drained to refill, run engine to near operating temp and add fluid as req'd to bring fluid level ,when hot, to approx . middle of hatch mark on dipstick . Add no more.. Road test, if trans malfunctions , problem is not with fluid level.
Fluid capacity around 51/2 - 5 3/4 qts.
You might check with a Ford parts dept to verify if dip stick is correct one.
Thanks! However, I didn't ask how to fill it to the correct level. I already did that. I also have the Ford workshop manual software and it says the fill capacity is 10 qt, which means you were way off. My questions remain to be answered. I'll try asking Ford parts department about the dipstick in the meantime.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:40 PM

What does your owner's manual say?

Old 08-09-2020, 02:50 PM

The owner's manual also says the automatic transmission fluid capacity is 10 quarts. I'm assuming that's what you were asking about.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 AM

If you were able to drain the torque converter and the trans cooler , it would probably take the addl fluid.
Since you are only draining the trans itself,, that is where the lower amount comes in.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 PM

The capacity is the capacity no matter what drains or not.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 PM

I beg to differ with you sir.
If your trans converter had a drain plug , then you might require 10 qts.
But since you cannot drain the converter , you cannot add the full 10 qts.
When you remove the trans drain plug , you only drain the main reservoir in the trans body, but not the clutches and converter and the oil cooler.
There is no harm in checking with a Ford dealer or trans shop. Whatever you do , don't overfill the trans because that will cause aeration of the fluid and instead of fluid being where it is supposed to be (Valves and clutches) air prevents things that require hydraulic pressure to function correctly to, allow the air to be compressed and the valves and clutches will not work properly.
Draining a trans is not the same as draining the engine. They are 2 completely different animals.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:02 PM

I understand what you're saying, but you are not talking about capacity and you aren't answering my questions.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:13 PM

Capacity does not come into the picture here because you are not emptying everything.
You are draining a certain part and the TOTAL capacity is a moot point here.
That is where the 5 qt refill comes in.

Last edited by hanky; 08-12-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Taurus Transmission 6F50 questions