Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2013 Taurus Limited Hesitation/studder

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:36 PM
Red face 2013 Taurus Limited Hesitation/studder

There is a slight hesitation/shudder while accelerating from 2500-4500 and is only getting more and more noticeable. No check engine light what so ever. No codes stored in the memory.
System was relearned from fresh. Spark plugs and oil change was completed (after hesitation started)
Switched a step up higher with gas. cant figure out what is causing this, Has anyone experienced this before? And if you have, what was the remedy? this is driving me absolutely insane..

Old 11-01-2019, 12:22 PM

You might check the throttle body for deposits. If it needs to be cleaned, use only throttle body cleaner. Any other strong solvent could remove the anti-stick coating.
You might want to have someone hold the throttle pedal to the floor with the key on to do this. Whatever you do , don't attempt to move the throttle blade manually, that can damage the internals of the throttle control motor.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:07 AM

I will def try that out.
As temps start to drop here in Minneapolis, (30 deg) i went out to the car and used the remote start except it didn't start.
got in the car and tried to start at least two more times before it finally started. Sounds like a fuel pump to me, what do you think?

Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 AM

I wish I had a good working chrystal ball to answer your question, but since it's covered with fog , lol , not good to speculate without confirming your suspicions.

When you say it wouldn't start, does that mean it wouldn't crank over or does crank over , but will not fire up and start running ?

Usually, but mot always, if a fuel pump is planning on going south, you might notice some higher speed sluggish problems.
Not knowing when you purchased the vehicle, as cold weather approaches , batteries that are borderline just don't supply enough power to get everything on line.and among the everthings, can be starting problems. Does your scan tool provide fuel trim info, if so can you post some of that info? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:41 AM

The vehicle was cranking every time i tried, definitely not a battery issue. I will be hooking up the Autel to access the fuel trim and post results.

Usually the hesitation will start at about 10 mph and will continue at about 50 mph and will continue the more you accel, you will see and feel the engine drop in rpm slightly and jump back up quickly even though your foot is steady. you can also feel it more when your going uphill.
I was told by a fellow friend that the connectors on the fuel pump have a known issue and said that they sometimes build up corrosion on the connectors so ill be checking that. also i forgot to mention with my research that i have been doing i found that the Fuel Pump Control Module tends to go bad, so i replaced it from Ford (before the not starting issue i had) just to eliminate it all together.

What other known issues have you ran into with this car?
Have you heard of the issues i posted above?

Pretty much just trying to pick some brains and see what other people have ran into in the past.

Last edited by Mr_X; 11-06-2019 at 12:59 AM.