Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

94 Ford Taurus throttle hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Default 94 Ford Taurus throttle hesitation

Hi everyone,
I have just purchased a 94 Taurus 3.8 for my son to drive back and forth to college because of the rising Diesel cost. The car was not well maintained at all but I got it CHEAP!! Anyway, when I went to get it the guy fired it up and put it in reverse and the car died. It would not restart. I got it home and checked a few things to try and get it running. I was able to get it to start with Ether and now it start on its own with no problem. The problem that I have now is that when you throttle it the engine tries to die like a lean mixture problem. If you ease into the throttle it will rev up fine. The check engine light is on staedy but I cannot get a code off of it by the light flash test. Here is a list of other things that I have checked and everything seems fine.

Fuel pump runs
Fuel pressure is around 40-45psi (I dont have a low pressure gauge to get exact)
Fuel pressure regulator increases pressure when I remove the vacuum line
Fuel pressure stays steady while throttling engine
all pins on relay module seem to check out
Throttle position sensor is good

If anyone has anymore suggestions to check please let me know. I have a lot of vehicle knowledge but mostly GM.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: 94 Ford Taurus throttle hesitation

Come on guys, surely someone has some idea of what to check. It is a lean mixture problem is it possible that I have a couple of injectors that are not opening good. It seems to idle pretty good with a little spit here and there. When you put it in gear and give it gas to move it will not go if just stumbles.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Default RE: 94 Ford Taurus throttle hesitation

Being a 94 and "The car was not well maintained at all", I would start with the basics if I bought the car by doing the following:

1. Replace air filter
2. Replace fuel filter
3. Change oil/filter
4. Change Tranny fluid AND filter as your year is prone to tranny failures (My prefered way is to do a tranny flush, then follow up with a pan drop and replace the filter. Yes, you'll waste some new fluid, but it's cheaper than a tranny)
5. Replace Plugs, wires, cap and rotor
6. Clean throttle body and MAF sensor
7. Replace the PCV valve
8. Run a couple of tanks of gas with fuel injector cleaner in it
9. Check/replace vacuum lines

This would be a good start