Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

'95 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Default '95 hesitation

Greetings all, I have a 1995 Thunderbird that has the following condition:

- When you step on the gas the car hesitates and then goes (similar to when you have a bad accelerator pump on a carburator.)
- There is also the same hesitation/stumble when you just snap the throttle.(tranny in park)
- The car has very little power but seems to get 'surges' of power spuratically.

The specs are:
1995 Thunderbird
Automatic trans
3.8L V6

2 years ago the vehicle overheated and started dripping coolant out the tailpipe. I replaced both headgaskets. Progressively since that time the vehicle has seemed to lose power and now the hesitation has started. Last fall I did a compression check. I don't remember all the readings but they were all above 100 and all within 5-10 PSI of one another. I suspected a clogged catalytic converter so last night I dropped the Y-Pipe off the vehicle. I started it up but the hesitation when you snap the throttle is still there. My next thought is a couple clogged injectors but I don't want to take the top end apart again until I'm sure of it. Has anyone experienced this sort of problem? There's only one unusual condition I've been able to note and that is the PCV valve. When the engine is running there's a wicked vibration/noise coming from the PCV valve. Sort of like the plunger inside is opening/shutting or vibrating really quickly. I've of course replaced it but that did nothing. Would a partial clog in the EGR system cause this? Incidently, there is no check engine/service engine soon light and there are no codes stored in the computer. Thanks for any help

Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Default RE: '95 hesitation

I too have experienced this same problem in my '94 with the 4.6 liter. Haven't cured the problem yet, but am replacing fuel filter, and using injector cleaner to see if it's a "cheap fix". Any results, and I'll convey them to this board. Like Swamper said, any help would be greatly appreciated.