Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

95 Taurus Subframe problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Default 95 Taurus Subframe problems

Hi. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the subframe on their Ford Taurus. I own a 95 which is rusted out badly at the front of the vehicle mostly on the passenger side. Looks like it might have started near the air conditioner. I'm in MI and our weather and salt don't exactly make for ideal conditions. I want to find out if anyone else had problems with major rusting in this area, so maybe I don't have to pay to fix it! It's a great car other than that, my daily driver. The problem started with shaking that at first (seemed to) shake my glovebox, and eventually moved to the whole dash and steering column. We figured it was old tires, and after buying new ones and balancing twice, our mechanics pointed out the severe rusting of the subframe as the more likely culprit. If anyone else had this problem or knows someone who might, lets Ford into fixing it for us! (I'm lead to believe that this is not normal wear and tear stuff even on an 11 year old car!)
Other Taurus's have had similar problems with the frame and accelerated rusting, but it's been in the rear. So I'm pretty perplexed....help! I want to save my Taurus!
Thanks for any help or advice!
TO

Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Default RE: 95 Taurus Subframe problems

To:
All Ford and Lincoln - Mercury Dealers

Subject:
Safety Recall 98S36 - Certain 1986 - 1995 Taurus and Sable and 1988 - 1994 Continental Vehicles - Sub-Frame Rear Plate Nut Replacement

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 1986-1995 Taurus and Sable and 1988-1994 Continental vehicles that were originally sold or are currently registered in the following U.S. states and Canadian Provinces:

U.S. States:
Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Illinois Indiana
Iowa Kansas Kentucky Maine Maryland
Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska
New Hampshire New Jersey New York Ohio Pennsylvania
Rhode Island Vermont Virginia West Virginia Wisconsin

Canadian Provinces:
Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland Nova Scotia
Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec

REASONS FOR RECALL

The body mounts on the rear corners of the sub-frame that support the engine and transmission may separate. This can occur if the lower retainer plate of the mount or the retaining plate nut becomes severely corroded from long term exposure to road salts and retention of moisture in the mounts. This corrosion can weaken the retainer plate of the mount or the retaining plate nut severely enough to allow the bolt head to pull through the washer or out of the nut. Should both rear mounts separate, the rear of the sub-frame will drop and steering may suddenly become difficult. This could result in an accident.

SERVICE ACTION

To correct this condition, dealers will replace the attaching bolts, plate nuts and the reinforcement plates on the bottom of the sub-frame rear body mounts, on all affected vehicles.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Default RE: 95 Taurus Subframe problems

I have the same problem with a 96 same side and all! any info???