Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

auto trans failure mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Default auto trans failure mode

Paranoia from reading too many forums, instead of just enjoying my car. Its a 93 Taurus, GL, automatic. 148,000 miles. The trans has worked well, made it past the 100K mark, and I was happy. Now the fear and dread kicks in, wondering when it will quit on me.... :-( Bad attitude, but that is how it is right now.

It shifts fine, and under load, shifts pretty firm. I think it hunts a bit when I am driving in traffic, and not really running the rpms up, but I can't tell if its the motor, or the trans. Fluid is clean, and topped up. Always checked, but never changed in the 60K I have had it.

Today, its 101 degrees, I have the AC on, and doing some tunes, and as I pull into my driveway, with a slight grade, I stopped, and let my foot of the brake, and the car didn't move forward. I pressed the gas, and nothing happened. With the noise, and the kids, I couldn't tell if the engine raced up, or my foot wasn't really pressing the pedal. (I am not senile <g&gt I set the brake, and put it into park, thinking, ****, this is it, but at least I am in the driveway, sort of.

The kids got out, the ac and radio went off, I put it in gear, and the familiar clunk occured, and the car moved forward. I drove it around the block, it seemed normal...

I am really upset at this crap. I love the car, I love older cars, but the stress sometimes of "will it get me home?" is killing me.

If the trans was gonna quit, would it just quit, or do something like this, and then get worse? I always thought these transmissions pretty much worked, and then one day, would just not engage any forward or reverse gears anymore.

Experience, comments, and I suppose, laughter, are solicited. I am not feeling very well, as I don't really have the $2500+ for a replacement....

As an aside, what would be a reasonable guess as to the actual cost of replacing it. I assume a new one, not anything rebuilt?

Thanks for listening....

John

Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Default RE: auto trans failure mode

Well John, you are quite a writer. I feel there are two problems here. First a slight buck from your transmission and the second bigger problem your anxiety attacks. Ha ha haa. Anywho.

As much as you like older cars, you are well aware of what comes along with older cars. Things break, wear, tick, chug, click and squeal. It's good your not ignoring your sences. If I were you I would add a transmission additive and clean out the trans. Then do a 100% FLUID FLUSH (which is really about 80 to 90%) and filter change. I advise this because you said the fluid still seems to be clean. It tells me things are not falling apart. Just things are old and some maintenance is required.

I am aware that there are blogs everywhere that say not to change the fluid after 100k. After working on cars for numerous years and owning my own shop, its my conclusion that neglected transmission are more apt to fail after changing their fluid. So my oppinion is give your trans a tune up. Just a thought. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Default RE: auto trans failure mode

ORIGINAL: detroitmi
If I were you I would add a transmission additive and clean out the trans. Then do a 100% FLUID FLUSH (which is really about 80 to 90%) and filter change. I advise this because you said the fluid still seems to be clean. It tells me things are not falling apart. Just things are old and some maintenance is thought. Let us know how you make out.
Much obliged for that idea. I have read both sides of the "good and bad for it" after 100K, and decided that it would be a good thing to do, if I could find someone that I trusted, to touch the trans.

The national chains, AAMCO, etc, get no vote of confidence from me, as being nothing more than shops wanting to replace my trans. I simply do not trust them to do what is best, only what makes them the most money..

I have seen that places like Jiffy Lube, will do a complete flush and refill, filter, etc, but there is no one working there over the age of about 19, and so again, trust is an issue.

I am scouting and asking around the area for recommends of small, local shops that might be able to do a good job, but that is also a crapshoot....

Draining it, and changing the filter myself, doesn't really replace enough of the fluid, so as you can see, I am willing, but don't trust anyone to do it properly... Part of my "old car paranoia" I guess <shrug>

Thanks a lot for your input. If I go for it, I will surely respond with the results.

John