Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Gas Pedal Sticking 2005 Taurus

Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Default Gas Pedal Sticking 2005 Taurus

My Gas Pedal started sticking and my car will accelerate on its own. This is random and does it whether I am driving, braking, sitting at a light and even when it is in park. This started about 2 weeks ago but seems to be getting worse because I can not get it unstuck when pressing the pedal. that gas pedal will unstick on its own.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Try cleaning the throttle body, inside where the butterfly is.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 PM

You can disconnect the cable from the throttle body and see if you can moved the cable in and out freely and check for smooth rotation of the throttle plate. If one is binding, replace the part. Also check the floormats and carpet around the pedal.

You've probably seen the news recently about how dangerous a throttle being stuck open could be. If you can't figure it out and fix it I highly suggest you take it immediately to someone who can.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Would also file a complaint with the Dept of Transportation

Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 AM

My gas pedal sticks going down highway or at traffic light had a fender bender other day because of it put it in neutral and it keeps reving up have to cut it off because it might blow 2005 Taurus is the car. I called NHSTB and made a complaint called ford motor company twice and they don't care gonna contact local tv station tomorrow and have them do story on it since ford don't care this is gonna be bigger than the Toyota debacle

Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 AM

Not knowing what if any add-on equip has been added to these vehicles, I would suggest as previously mentioned to disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and eliminate the possibility of the cable being the problem.
One train of thought is if the IAC is malfunctioning and opening allowing more air to enter the engine, the PCM will automatically add more fuel and the engine RPM will go up. Something like this can be verified , but tools need to be connected to the vehicle to confirm this is what is happening.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Exclamation Same Here

My throttle has been sticking as well, and it also started at the same time my cruise control quit working. I have a 2005 Ford Taurus. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration after reading an article on other reports of this problem (NHTSA investigates Ford Taurus after complaints of sticking throttles). I highly recommend anyone else having this problem to file a complaint so we can get a recall on this.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Angry ford has not improved performance

I am a 2004 ford taurus owner and have resently experienced my throttle sticking randomly, I commute two hours to work. Is this a recall? I have had numerous problems with my car, torche converter replaced, started, battery, electrical short, now its misfiring and codes p0171 p0174 are showing up.Paid 80 dollars for test to tell me they think head gasket leaking. Im done with ford done. I do not recommend a taurus.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Default at what cost

They are taking a big risk with lawsuits over throttle sticking. My 17 yr old daughter expeienced this as well while driving my ford 2004 taurus. I have filed a complaint its time to do something about the poor continuious condtions of their cars.THEIR PUTTING OUR LIVES IN HARMS WAY.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 AM

please let the media know, this is a serious situation. I have expeienced my throttle sticking as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Sticking 2005 Taurus