Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

I want to UNDERSTAND completely overheat

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Default I want to UNDERSTAND completely overheat

History: Replace headgasket last week

Fact: this afternoon, I drove to school. The temprature is stable below the middle range of the gauge when I drove. However, when I parked the car in idel, I saw the temprature went above the middle. As my friend's car shows, its temprature is always stable not like my car.

Another fact: After picked my car from the mechanic, I noticed the collant level in the coolant reservoir is below the Cold Line. So I added more. But this morning, I noticed that the level decreases. Is there other internal leaking? Or it is normal after replace the headgasket?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Default RE: I want to UNDERSTAND completely overheat

HUMMMM, well I try to answer your questions the best I can , I dont know what kinda car your friend has to compare to , But yes its very normal for the temp. to go up by at least 20 degrees at idle , due to the fact that theres no air flow going across the RAd. being parked. Now you have a cooling fan that is controlled by Temp.sensor,, An as the TEMP. rises it will cut on the fan an you should see the gauge start moving back down a bit till the fan cuts out.Now if your car has A.C. when you turn it on the fan will run all the time . Do to the extra load being put on the engine plus the additional heat factor that comes from the ac trying to due its job, Dont know if you ever noticed but your AC is colder going down the road then it is when your sitting still. An I sure your car has a electrical gauge , other wise when you shut if off , you would see the temp. gauge start rising into the danger zone , Thats called HOT SOAK , you no longer have coolant flowing thru the system, Most newer cars with elec fans the fan will cut on with the engine off to help cool it down. ... On to the Coolant reservoir , Ford has the worst set up on the market , you will drive your self crazy keeping it right on the full mark all the time , As long as its at least half way to the mark you should be good. I dont know , Chances are when the guy was working on the car , of course the coolant was warm/ hot from running the engine it had expanded . An then after sitting all nite it had contracted an was a tad low. I know you are a bit worried after the repair, So its just best to keep a eye on the coolant for the next few days thats very normal , After that checking your coolant once a week An you should be okay .,,,, Have to tell you living here in Florida 90% of my customers come in complaining that there AC isnt working so good. when it fact , They have a cooling system problem , ie leaking hoses , loose belts , fans that quit working etc. I ask them did you check your temp gauge ? An most will tell me no it was my AC that wasnt working rite { LOL }

Old 08-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Default RE: I want to UNDERSTAND completely overheat

I'd take the car and my concerns back to that shop and have them check it out. They may have enadvertently foregotten something. If they don't find anything and they gave you a warrenty on the work, you should be okay.