Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Lower backseat from within trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Default Lower backseat from within trunk?

Having trouble with a 2002 Ford Taurus.

I can't believe its so hard to find the answer for this on google or bing. i get alot of gibberish. pretty annoying.

For some reason my key remote on the car suddenly quit working tonight out of the blue. no idea why, it just did.

New battery didn't fix it.

For some reason the key i have doesnt open the drivers side door, but it does open the trunk.

I thought maybe i could climb in the trunk and easily push down the back seats, but i found out you cant.

i figured it'd be easy due to a tiny cloth pull strip is all you need to open it from the front.

Surely there is a way to push down the back seats from within the trunk. isnt that a safety thing they started doing with most trunks years ago?

I can't seem to find a pull string inside the trunk or anything to do this.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Well, not every car has fold down back seats, it depends on the trim level.

That safety thing you are referring to is the emergency exit. Let's say you killed somebody and you want to transport the body in the trunk to a safe location for disposal. Then on the way the victim wakes up again. Now he or she can pull that bright yellow glow in the dark pull strap and pop open the trunk. Of course you wouldn't do such a horrible thing. But kids like to play hide and seek and some have gotten into trouble in hot weather getting locked into a trunk.

If your car has fold-able seat backs and it has a release for them inside the trunk it is most likely located just below the roof of the trunk near the rear speakers.

A body shop or even possibly the police could "slim-jim" the car for you. Slim-Jim is a special tool to unlock cars with out a key.

Last edited by bluewind; 11-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 AM

This car does have fold down backseats, but i couldnt find any way to access the latch.

Anyways, i went ahead and called people to come unlock it which they did. Then i made sure to reprogram the remote.

Soon i'll call the car dealership place i got it from and see why the key doesnt work on the door.

thanks for the reply though.