Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

No Fuel At Fuel Rail ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Default No Fuel At Fuel Rail ??

Hi , I have a 1999 ford Taurus se sedan with the dhoc 24v engine 3.0 , The care only has 97000 miles on it , I replaced the air and fuel filters , changed the oil/filter , I filled it up with gas + bottle of techron fuel injector cleaner , I drove about 45 miles and it just died at a speed of 35 mph like someone turned off a switch ? no noise at all and would not restart , had it towed home , OK I have read many opions of what may be wrong so here is what I have done so far and still will not start , I checked the red button safety switch in trunk it is in , with a helper turned on switch and fuel pump runs for a few sec and quits , took fuel line loose at filter and turned switch on/off several times and fuel pump is strong doing this, there was fuel coming from both sides of the line from tank to engine , reconnected fuel filter, no fuel or pressure from the tire gauge thing on fuel rail , removed 1 spark plug and it is dry and checked it by cranking and it did have fire , removed vacume line from regulator and it is dry , I checked all fuses and switched around relays with no change , tried sprayed fuel cleaner in intake no start , I have no fuel in the fuel rail but pump is strong , removed line from filter again and fuel did drain from the line engine side , car will not start . don't know what else to do ? can not afford costly tow and repair , Please Help me if you can or if you have had the same problem let me know what it could be ????? Thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM

My 99 also was doing this, although mine had the Vulcan motor(non 24 valve) it's one of the sensors on the motor. can't remember which one, it tooks a couple day's of mechanic tracking down and tracing the problem. would not trip the engine warning light. over $700.00 by the time all was said and done.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM

I'm a little puzzled by your spraying "fuel cleaner" exactly what was that?
Secondly, if it was something like carb and choke cleaner, the engine should have started even if for 2-3 seconds.
With that scenario , I would suspect the crank sensor because if what you state is correct you are not getting any spark to fire the mixture. Can you clarify some of this for us ?

Once we can see where we stand , may have to get into fuel system although at this time wouldn't go there yet.

Last edited by hanky; 08-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM

When you say you have no pressure at the fuel rail did you measure it with a fuel pressure gauge?..... or did you depress the Schrader valve and nothing came out?

If you get a fuel gauge(rent one from a parts store) on the rail and cycle the key from key off to key on(multiple times) it should build up pressure. I think something like 28 to 41 PSI is considered acceptable. But don't quote me on those numbers as I it has been some time since I last had to look it up.
If this does not happen you have a fuel pump issues. May be the pump or the wiring.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM

This may help you or for anyone looking to understand how to measure the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. This was demonstrated on a Duratec engine but the concept is similar for most any fuel injected car.