Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

91 Tempo stalls and smokes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:04 AM
Default 91 Tempo stalls and smokes

I have a 1991 Ford Tempo with 66,800 miles on it. I bought it from someone who drove it short distances (10 miles/day). It was not used for a couple of months before I bought it. I runs good except for 2 problems. Sometimes it stalls when I try to give it gas after stopping at a stop sign or light. The other problem is occasional smoke coming from behind the oil reservoir (sorry, I don't know car parts). I had these things checked by the local garage mechanic. He said these things are happening because the car sat from a couple of months. There is a little oil in front of the oil reservoir and he thought this was what caused the white smoke that smells like burning oil. He said once it all burned off, the smoking would stop. There does not appear to be a leak since nothing shows on the driveway where I park. I don't believe this is all from the car sitting. He said there is no fire hazard. Any ideas about what is happening?

I had the alternator replaced because the battery indicator came on and the battery was still good. That problem is resolved. Also, when the mechanic checked the car out, he found a birds nest in the airfilter which was removed but the two problems did not go away.

New Driver

Old 04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Default RE: 91 Tempo stalls and smokes

Try cleaning the idle control motor with carb cleaner, remove it and clean it.
As for the smoke, it could be oil on the engine, I'd try what the mechanic said, run it for awhile