Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

94 Probe GT barely turning after 2yr sitting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Default 94 Probe GT barely turning after 2yr sitting

I just bought this 93 PGT 5 spd.with 99kform some one who didn't want it no more...750.00 cash...it's got a new clutch, new cv joints, new water pump, new timing belt...everything is in very good shape (interior and exterior)...his stock distributor went out at 89k had it replaced at a dealer, then it went out again at 99k...that's when he decide hewas not going to fix it...21 months later he puts it on craig's list and I decided to take a chance.
Put in a distributor and it wouldn't turn, checked all fluids and they are all kinda ok...tried push-starting it,and it didn't, but started to turn over just a bit. I had to tow it home...then I had my wife pull me tostart it, and it did!!!!..after almost 2 years of sitting, the thing started and actually sounded ok...I let it idle and warm up and it was doing fine...10 minutes into idleing....deadness!...it just quit with no signs before doing so...just in a blink of an eye...nothing!...tried to jump start it (battery did not charge in the 10 minutes it was running) and, to my surprise, it was barely turning again!...wua...wua....wua, wua, wua. I thought that it would turn over after being running for 10 minutes....so, is the engine gone? Previous owner said it never overheated and the last time the distributor went out, it was turning just fine, but wouldn't start...should I pull-start it again and put some Slick 50 or Prolong to loosen up the engine?
Thanks[:@]

Old 02-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Default RE: 94 Probe GT barely turning after 2yr sitting

Sorry to say - I do not think any oil additive will help. If the battery didn't charge anything in the electrical system could be wrong. A bad or shorted battery (batteries can break when someone connects the jumper cables wrong) OR a bad alternatorOR a wire loose on the alternator OR an ignition fuse blown OR a fusible link to the charging system. If you put in a distributor did you make sure it is set to fire number one cylinder at TDC? Did you check the timing with a light? It must be installed and timed by the book for the computer to operate properly.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM

was it a new battery also? if not it probably is trash if 10in did not give it a surface charge. I agree that timing must be accurate, but the battery/charging system could also make it die unexplained.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Well...thanks for the replies...I got it to start (after push starting it)...the battery a put inwas a new one...after letting it idle for 20 minutes...it started just fine!...the problem was the battery!...then....I added a fuel system flushing additive along with an engine flushing additive...gave it some new oil and filter and...VOILA!...I have a car!...Runs pretty strong!!! Being that it has new spark plugs and wires, I can't believe how strong the engine is!! (at 99k)...I've been driving it to work and other than a frictioning sound in the front end...all is fine!...since the car sat for almost 2 years and when I bought it, the tires were very low...I'm thinking the steel inside the tires got bent from being low for so long, and that's why I get the weird sound in the front end...because it only occurs once the car starts rolling...could be it needs a good lube too!...I have another question about my other 94 PGT...check out the "94 PGT stall after washing engine" post.
Thanks again!