Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Default black smoke

I have a 91 probe 2.2 sudden drop in fuel milage, have changed air filter, repaired leaks in intake hose,distributor cap,wires,plugs, timing, fuel pressure regulator,o2 sensor. How do I findfail codes? Have checked vaccume to fuel pressure regulator,cleaned EGR valve and verified it is working. Help

Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: black smoke

My 1996 Ford Probe SE has a socket labeled "diagnostic"where one could plug in to the code scanner, usually called a OBD II. It's located by the fuse box, under the hood, on the driver's side. There is also one (a socket)underby the left of the steering column.Some Jiffy Lube's will be nice enough to plug in theirOBD IIscannerto your carto see what's up free ofcharge. You may want to call first. Other places, like dealerships and other shops will probably charge you a minimun fee to take a look at the car. I would search for a shop that has great ratings in your area. You cando that on the internet.

Chances are the fuel injectors may be clogged up, so the fuel doesn't get the proper atomization(the fine mist required for a nice, even burn inside the cylinder combustion chamber). Also, the fuel filter may need replacing. The P.C.V. valve(positive crankcase ventilation valve) may need to be replaced. Another important component that affects fuel mileage are the spark plugs. I use Bosch 4 tip Platinum spark plugs, they work great. Proper tire inflation also plays a role in fuel mileage. In the driver's side door sill, there is info about the vehicle, like the VIN #, year, etc. It also lists the proper tire inflation for the front and back tires. Usually if you take it to a Jiffy Lube, their signature service will check most of those things I mentioned. They test your battery, inflate your tires to spec, check your air filter. They can replace your fuel filter, rotate your tires, replace your battery. They can also do an engine flush, a radiator/coolant flush, fuel injector cleaning service.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM

I failed to mention this vehicle is prior to obd II.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM

That's okay. The other things I mentioned should help with your fuel mileage.
Some things I'd like to do to my Probeis what some guys featured on Super Street magazine are doing to their Honda's. They're putting in Acura TSX 2.4 Liter engines and achieving great horsepower numbers.
Check out the pictures and article, here is the website for you:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...fications.html

Let me know what you think, one of the guys is doing all motorand the other guy is using forced induction. I like how it looks. I have enough room in my Probe's engine bay, which is probably the biggest obstacle when doing engine swaps. With the right people working on it, a bit of cutting, welding, and custom fabricating can get the project done. Of course a few grand $$$ will be needed.