Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

1997 Ford Thunderbird Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Talking fix for starting problem

I had the same problem for a year then the car started to idle down the road at 65 mph got a powertrain control module from the junk yard it fixed both problems now I turn the key and the car starts right away no more waiting for the fan to turn off before it will start and it idles beautifully. Hope this helps

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Had the same problem changed the PCM and it fixed the problem

Old 10-10-2016, 03:02 AM

Greetings,

I read this thread, and have a bit to offer for the people who own the 4.6 V-8 version of this Thunderbird. I had to troubleshoot a no start condition where the engine would crank just fine, but the cooling fan would run with a COLD engine. It could be 20 degrees F outside, and the car had sat overnight and do this. So, there was no way that it was in an "overheat" condition where the fan would be necessary. If you waited until the fan stopped, it would start perfectly and run without any issues. No pending or set codes in the PCM as I checked for them with a code scanner. I had people say to change the fuel pump, but when I put a fuel pump tester on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, the pressure would come up immediately when you placed the ignition key in the "run" position, to specs listed in the factory shop manual. And, yes, the fuel filter had been changed, plugs, wires, etc. in the course of a full tune-up. The key was the cooling fan had to stop before the engine would fire and start. A bit of digging in the Ford EVTM (Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) and a Ford factory reference manual covering the OBDII system revealed that the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) would place the cooling fan in a default "on" state UNLESS it received a signal from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to turn OFF. OK, re-read that carefully... the fan would default to "on" unless the PCM turned it OFF. I tried to communicate with the PCM using my code scanner, and it could not establish communication with the PCM until the fan turned off. OK, re-read that carefully as well... The PCM was not able to turn the fan OFF, it was not able to communicate with a scan tool. The issue was the PCM was not running - as was evident by the fan running, and a lack of ability to communicate with it using the scan tool. Once those worked, the engine would start and run perfectly. The solution was to purchase a rebuilt PCM - problem SOLVED. To further clarify the situation, the engine ran perfectly once started. The performance and drivability was "normal". No random issues or codes being set. The car was well maintained and serviced properly on a regular basis.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Default Starting issue

Have you checked the ccrm? The fuel pump relay and the cooling fan relay are both in the ccrm

Old 04-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Just realized how old this post was lol

Old 04-21-2020, 12:56 AM
Default Reply to starting issue

Hello,
In response to Jimmy Flowers:
You ask whether or not the CCRM was replaced, and yes it was. I figured out relatively early that the CCRM indeed controlled the cooling fan. One of our large junkyards here graciously gave me a replacement for FREE. No changes to the way the car behaved.

Now to dig a bit deeper into how this thing works as it relates to cooling. The CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) will DEFAULT to powering the fan UNLESS it receives a signal from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to turn the fan OFF. This is a smart move on the part of Ford engineers. This will result in a baseline cooling of the engine at all times in the event the CCRM does not get a signal to turn the fan ON. Again, a failsafe mode of operation. The key thing that I figured out with this car that caused me to replace the PCM was that I could not communicate with the PCM with a SCAN tool plugged into the OBDII diagnostic port. No communication told me that the PCM had not yet booted. Yes, the PCM is a group of computers that boot up almost instantly to provide control of the powertrain. Once the PCM booted, and read the temperature sensor and determined the coolant temperature was cold it turned off the fan. So changing the sensor in this case would not have done any good. When the PCM was changed, the problem went away, for good. If you can communicate with your PCM, read the realtime data such as coolant temperature. Does it return data that is consistent with the actual temperature, or does it return noisy, or temperatures that are inconsistent with conditions? Please let me know if anyone is still having issues with this cold start issue. Post what you have done, provide any details you can. It will help.
If you can, purchase a Ford shop manual set for your vehicle. There are several manuals, so be sure to get them all. It is worth the investment. Also, purchase the Ford OBDII binder that discusses the deeper workings of the OBDII system as it relates to your vehicle. They are specific to the year of vehicle you are working on, and worth the investment. Read them, and read them AGAIN because the information is there. You have to be persistent and look carefully. They wrote those manuals for Ford trained individuals, not us who are learning. but I will tell you I have learned a lot to date.