General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 ford f550 need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 AM
Default 01 ford f550 need help

I have a 01 ford f550 with a 7.3 power stroke it is short on power on top end and rpm's surge on top end as well, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

How many miles on the clock?

Usually when the complaint is a flat throttle under heavy load, or a surge/stumble/misfire and lack of power or long steep grades, I suspect fuel supply. If you have no CEL, and the truck runs fine (?) until high fuel damand eventually causes the issue, I'd have a look at fuel first and/or make sure its not the cause. Last fuel filter service was?

There's an 1/8 fuel test plug on the front of the right/passenger cylinder head. If you can put a test gauge there and drive the truck monitoring pressure to make sure the supply pressure doesn't fall off at those ranges it would prove out adequate supply and general pump health.

If the pump is ok, filter has been changed,,,

Inside the fuel tank, the fuel tank modules plastic body contains cylinder type micro screens that over time restrict and cause for pressure and volume drop when demand is high. They are cleanable. A simple pressure/volume test usually will point to a restriction..

Another way to check is,, find a real steep grade where a hard throttle angle can be met for as long as possible and without picking up too much speed keeping the RPM's high, and until the surge will show up.. If you can back off the throttle 'slightly and progressively' and the engine recovers quickly (staying in the top end off the pedal) and it runs smooth until applying more thottle again for a surge, then most likely a restriction..

Could be boost issues, or other causes, but I've seen many of these same complaints due to fuel supply.. Air filter restrictions too, but most look there first...