General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 302 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Default 1987 302 fuel problem

Recently bought a 1987 E150 with a 302 that was running good in town. Drove it 250 miles back home and I noticed black smoke on the steep hills on the freeway. Got home and it flooded out and would not start. Found that the fuel pressure regulator was bad. Replaced it and within 5 minutes, the new one was leaking into the vacuum line. I'm new to Fords and fuel injection. Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM

That early style of fuel injection was actually not all that bad. A defective Fuel press reg. is about all it can be. The pump moves the fuel, but the FPR is responible for the normal pressure regulation of 32-40 or so psi.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM

I'm used to manual pumps. Is there any chance that the pump is putting out too much pressure? I bought a Haynes manual and a Clymer and they're both pretty useless.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Well, the only other thing I can think of to check is the fuel return lines to the tank; if they're blocked/restricted, it could conceivable create a high fuel pressure concern. As I said before, the system is fairly simple and the only real thing that controls fuel pressure is the regulator.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM

also check the inertia switch

Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM

One thing that I have found is: It appears that the line going to the fuel pump is actually connected to the return side of the fuel selector valve. I'm still trying to find a diagram to show if I'm correct on this. Neither my Haynes or Clymer manual shows the routing. If it is hooked incorrectly, not sure how it would still work at all. Only runs off rear tank at this time. Do you think having it hooked to the return side of the valve would cause the excess pressure?

Last edited by snowballexpress; 07-25-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM

One thing that I have found is: It appears that the line going to the fuel pump is actually connected to the return side of the fuel selector valve. I'm still trying to find a diagram to show if I'm correct on this. Neither my Haynes or Clymer manual shows the routing. If it is hooked incorrectly, not sure how it would still work at all. Only runs off rear tank at this time. Do you think having it hooked to the return side of the valve would cause the excess pressure?

HELL YES! One way to determine what hoses go where is to look at the lines; supply is 3/8", return is 5/16", and they are fairly straightforward. And one other thing; the selector valves (both kinds, mechanical and electric) can stick internally and cause some nasty, hard to pinpoint problems.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM

With Greasemarks help, I have determined that the hoses are on correctly. At this time I have the fuel selector valve off the van. At this point it is in the position for the rear fuel tank. Should I be able to blow through the return line fitting that comes from the engine and have air come out of the return line to the rear tank? It seems that something inside is blocking air from going through the return portion of the valve. When I disconnected the return line from the valve, there was still pressure there even though it has been at least a week since the engine was running. This is leading me to believe that something in the return side of the valve is plugged. It is a one piece, white plastic, 6 port valve that is riveted together so I can't take it apart to clean it.