General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 E-450 speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Default 1999 E-450 speedometer not working

I have a motorhome with a 1999 E-450 chassis. The speedometer does not work at all but my odometer IS working. This has an analog speedometer and odometer. I do not have any blown fuses, no ABS or check engine light on the dash, the transmission is shifting normally, cruise control and overdrive on/off button working like normal. From the research I have done, if the VSS sensor on the rearend was bad, my odometer would not work and my transmission would act weird. Using a AA battery and wires across the pins for the servo motor for the speedometer needle, the needle moved. To me that seems like the servo motor is working. Does anyone have experience with this? Could it be an issue with the circuit board for the cluster?

Last edited by bbaehr22x; 05-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Yes, you've diagnosed it spot on. These were a real pain to diag, but the problem is in the circut board. The way this system (a VERY early network) was the signal was generated by the VSS, then modulated by the ABS (either 2 or 4 wheel), then on to the PSOM (programmable speedo/odo module) then onto the fuel injection for it's use.
If the CEL doesn't come on that's one clue that everything else is allright. But the clincher is the odo working.
I'd bet that if you search the internet breifly, there is someone out there that could either fix it or repair it. I'm sure others on this site could also offer help.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by greasemark
Yes, you've diagnosed it spot on. These were a real pain to diag, but the problem is in the circut board. The way this system (a VERY early network) was the signal was generated by the VSS, then modulated by the ABS (either 2 or 4 wheel), then on to the PSOM (programmable speedo/odo module) then onto the fuel injection for it's use.
If the CEL doesn't come on that's one clue that everything else is allright. But the clincher is the odo working.
I'd bet that if you search the internet breifly, there is someone out there that could either fix it or repair it. I'm sure others on this site could also offer help.
One thing I have found online is issues with the digital odometers on F series trucks being caused by a cold soldered pin on the circuit board. So I went over a couple pins that I traced to the speedo, but no luck.

I appreciate your help, and hope someone else can point me in a direction of getting the circuit board fixed.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Did you possibly try Vintage Ford?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by greasemark
Did you possibly try Vintage Ford?
I did not try Vintage Ford. I will check it out now.