Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Speedometer stops working after a few minutes of driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Exclamation Speedometer stops working after a few minutes of driving

Good Day to All,

I have an 2000 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4 6-cyl with about 164k miles. I just this past week start experiencing this problem with the speedometer. The problem is when I start driving down the road, the speedometer is working fine and then it stops and my "O/D Off" indicator starts flashing. I would pulled over and stop the truck and then placed the truck in "Park" and cut off the truck. I would then restart the truck and everything is back to normal. Unfortuantely, I am still having this problem but now my "Check Engine" indicator is on and the speedometer is somewhat slow to register the speed.

I also check my transmission fluid is normal and full. It is an automatic so shifting seems to be normal for a Ranger.

Does anybody on this forum can help me?

Thanks in advance,
RAY

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM

A good move would be to have the computer checked for code(s). That should provide some guidance for us to start. Some auto stores like Autozone will do this for free, They may even suggest what the code indicates. If possible get the code number and post it here ,we should be able to offer some guidance.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Thanks Hanky,

I went to Autozone this evening and had them to run a diagnostic test. The troubleshooting code is: P0500.

Ray

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

That was a good move, now all you need to do is get a new speed sensor from Ford and install it. Take your vin with you to the dealership parts dept and they should be able to give you the right part the first time. Only one bolt holds it in place on the trans. Easier to access from under the truck .