General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Default 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac overheating

I have a problem with this vehicle. First the radiator started leaking so I replaced it with a new one. Then I noticed that the thermostat housing was leaking so I replaced the O-ring in it and that stopped the leak. When I started it up the temperature was running in the normal range as long as it sat in the yard idling but when I took it out on the road it started to run hot within a half mile. I took it back home and while idling it was returning to normal range. I checked the thermostat in boiling water and it opened. The upper radiator hose had collapsed and anti freeze was running out of the overflow tank. Anyway when I opened the radiator cap the hose returned to normal, but I couldn't see any anti freeze in the radiator. Also I didn't have any heat coming out of the vents when this was happening. I am stumped as to what it could be but I can't really afford to just replace parts. Any help with what to do next will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM

If the engine actually overheated where it got hot enough to ruin a head gasket it could be blowing compression into the cooling system at an RPM above idle.
If it did not, then it is possible you did not get all the air out of the cooling system and when the engine gets hot it forces the coolant out into the DEGAS bottle (overflow tank). Let's hope it did not get that hot where it caused damage. It is sometimes a problem to remove all the air in the system without some additional equipment.
What you can try is to remove one of the hoses that goes to the DEGAS bottle from the top of the engine and allow the air that may be trapped in the engine to rise up to the top. The object is to remove the air that is trapped in the highest point of the cooling system. Sometimes you can run the engine with the coolant cap removed and allow the air to exit before forcing the coolant out, just don't allow the engine to get too hot. If after trying that a few times and you still get bubbles coming out of the engine into the bottle it could be compression and that would require some additional investigating..

Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 AM

The overflow only has one hose and it runs from radiator neck to the bottom of the overflow. Is it possible to take the upper radiator hose off until the thermostat opens up and lets water flow through it? Would this push the trapped air out? I can replace the radiator cap if you think that will help.