General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Ford Focus: Tried Removing Speaker from Anti-Theft Module and Now Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:25 PM
Default 2003 Ford Focus: Tried Removing Speaker from Anti-Theft Module and Now Won't Run

It's the speaker that goes off if you don't buckle your seatbelt or open the door with the keys in the ignition. I had to have that sound GONE.

It's the tone. I don't know, it drives me to the edges of my nerves if I just get in my car to warm up from the cold, just DING, DING, DING, DING! if I should make the mistake of putting the keys into the ignition prior to closing the door or some other horribly egregious offense. I don't feel I deserve the daily electric chair for this. If I want a jump I'll ask my girlfriend to do a running sprint into my body, knees first into my ribs as I'm about to fall asleep, if I want something to wake me up. She's cute enough to get away with something like this once or twice while the car is not.

I did disable the feature that makes you aware of your seatbelt, but that's not the problem. I wear my seatbelt. I just wanted to never hear the sound again in my life. And if my car is toast from removing this little speaker module from the anti-theft system board, I will not cry. But I guess I would definitely rather get the car running again.

I carefully removed the parts of the speaker from this module that make the sound itself while leaving the baseplate of the speaker attached to the circuit board to avoid unnecessary prying on the circuit board and more handling.

All in all, I was very gentle handling this unit and can't imagine that I shorted it out due to handling. Put it all back together and the car doesn't start. It started and ran for about 15 seconds initially until I can gather the engine realized the fuel pump stopped or something and now it cranks but there doesn't seem to be fuel pumping to the engine.

I'm guessing I may have screwed up the anti-theft system by doing this. Are there any ways of resetting this anti-theft system? I have both original keys with correct RFID, etc, no fobs though. And that while this is embarrassing, the tone of that dinging may well justify the purchase of another car altogether if I can't simply remove the speaker that dings at me if I move wrong and drives me out of my mind.

Last edited by md6040vr6t; 03-31-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The key/belt tone is done within the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) not the Anti Theft. Did you remove the GEM, or do the work with it active?