General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 5.4L no fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Default 2004 5.4L no fire

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue of no fire on my 2004 f150 fx4 5.4L. I had a starting issue and changed out the fuel pump drive module, still had an issue... was told it could be the plug to the module so I soldered in a new plug, long story short I got it working and now the pump comes on with the key every time, no start issues at all. went out to start it up next morning and nothing... the fuel pump still comes on but no attempt to start. I started diagnosing thins one at a time. fisrt thought was the crankshaft position sensor but I believe it is fine because when I turn it over my coder reads the RPM and I used a noid light to find my injectors are being told to do their job. I used a light testor to see if there was power to the coiles and there is with the ignition on. i pulled the air intake housing off, sprayed alittle gas in the throttle body and turned it over, no life at all... seems everything is working except communication to fire the coils... im hoping its not a PCM but im not sure where else to go... any suggestions?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:30 AM

If everything is as you say, power to the coils, crank signal, and the signal to the coils is present ,AND the fuel pump is working , but we don't know if fuel is getting up to the injectors.Suggest you remove a plug or two and see if the plugs are wet or dry.
If wet , hold the throttle pedal to the floor(clear flood mode) and crank over the engine. It should fire up. If the removed plugs are dry there is a fuel supply problem. The pump could be running , but not sending fuel up to the cyls. If you have fuel, air and spark there could be a spark timing problem. You can remove one of the coils and plug and leave the coil connected to the plug and crank it over and verify spark is getting to the plug. Don't forget to have the outside of the plug contacting metal on the engine while cranking it over to confirm park presence.
Last , but not least, CHECK ALL THE FUSES !!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 AM

thank you for your reply, I found the fire issue after doing some deep digging in tracing wires... seems I had what looks like a red squirrel doing some wiring for me.... he didn't do a very good job... spent most of the night soldering and got it started. The power wire to the coils was ok which is why they had power but it was the wires coming back to the computer that where damaged, 5 out of 8 of them.as well as a couple others... and I was mistaken that the fuel pump was coming on all time. it comes on when it wants to... now I believe my only issue is the dorman fuel pump drive module. I read somewhere they have rubber mounts that make a difference but I didn't use the mounts. it is metal to metal and is still only working when it wants. I have checked all the connections and signals and it all seems fine... I have seem a few thing about the dorman drive modules...

Old 03-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Some Ford fuel systems have a fuel rail pressure sensor, and this sensor sends info to the PCM which controls the fuel pump relay and fuel pump driver module. The pressure sensor determines when the fuel pump will run, so if there is no demand for fuel at the sensor the pump will not run. The better thing to do now is to have the PCM checked for any codes and go accordingly.Replacing parts unnecessarily can get expensive and involve a lot of unnecessary work.