General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Expedition Exhaust Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Default 2005 Expedition Exhaust Noise

Hi, I have 2005 Expedition with about 120,000 km (74,000 miles) on it. It recently developed a loud ticking coming from the passenger side of the engine. I have an aftermarket catback exhaust sytem, so I thought that might heve been the issue. The guy at my local dealership figured it was likely an exhaust manifold gasket that needs replacing. I've spoken to some people who suggest that it might be a broken exhaust manifold stud.

I have a couple questions:

Is the 5.4 litre in the 2005 Expedition likely to have broken manifold studs? I've only seen reference to it on the forum for older vehicles. I'm hoping that Ford improved the studs when they redesigned the Expedition in 2004.

How difficult is it to remove the exhaust manifold? Either way I'll need to get the manifold off to fix the gasket or the stud. I'm not an expert mechanic by any stretch, but I do most of my own motorcycle repair and I have a pretty decent tool collection and a place to work.

From what I hear in Canada, the repair will likely cost me between $800 and $1,500. Money is tight, so I'd like to try to do it myself. I'd really like to hear from some people that have done the job to see how hard it really is. I've done plenty of work on old clunkers when I was a kid, but I could usually stand in the engine compartment alongside the engine back then! Now engine compartments are fuller and my belly is a wee bit bigger too!

Thanks in advance,
Al T

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM

i have a 99 expedition and the studs were rusted off on the manifold and it caused a leak. i used a hush studfix to reattach the manifold to the down pipe/up pipe instead of trying to use the old original studs.
http://the-hush.com/
the kit came with 2 parts and it took very little time/tools to install. chack it and good luck.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Yes, most likey the broken studs will be on the very rear of the engine, cylinder's 4 and 8 exhust ports on the manifold. Its not all too difficult to removed the manifold and replace the stud and gasket, but it is time consuming. You access it by removing the plastic wheel liners from the wheel wells. Having a torch and some paraffin wax handy will most likely be needed to prevent from breaking any other fasteners or studs. Heat the fasteners with the torch and then apply the wax, depending on how rusty it is you might need to do this a few times to break the fasteners loose but with patience it will come apart without stripping or breaking anything else. Also, to find out EXACTLY where your leaks are without guessing, fabricate a tool to seal the end of your tailpipe with an air tool fitting attached to the tool. If you have a duel exit exhaust you need to plug the other exhaust tip also. Appy shop air to your exhaust system through the tool you fabricated to fit on your tailpipe. Then get some soapy water and start spraying all joints and anywhere you may think the exhaust is leaking. You will see big bubbles form at leaks on your exhaust.

Last edited by FordTech; 03-20-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: More notes