General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 F150 fails to crank when hot

Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Default 2010 F150 fails to crank when hot

After driving my truck for long enough to get the engine up to operating temperature, if I shut it off and try to start it again within 10 or 15 minutes it either just flat fails to crank or will try to crank but gives a clicking sound (almost like a low battery). If I let it cool for 30 minutes it'll fire right up. Have replaced the battery with a high performance gel cell and just put a new starter/solenoid. Neither fixed the problem. I live in southern Arizona and heat is definitely the key issue effecting the problem. Rarely had a problem in the winter months but as soon as it gets up to 95 degrees and higher this issue triggers. Thanks in advance for help.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Default Starter relay or anti theft system

Found this gem. I will check both of these next time it acts up and get back to everyone.

2010 F150: happened 3 times..the am in my driveway..ten minutes

Old 05-13-2016, 05:19 PM

The starter relay turned out to be the issue.

To recap, once the truck engine was hot and wouldn't crank I switched the starter relay with another matching relay, turned ignition to start and it fired up perfectly fine. (Then switched them back and bought a new relay). To locate the starter relay it is relay number 2 if you count from the top left corner of the relay/fuse box in the front and center underneath the hood. Or item 2 on page 326 of your owners manual. Keep in mind this is not the only starter relay. If switching the first one doesn't fix your problem I would locate and temporarily replace the second before moving on.

Bear in mind, prior to fixing this, all dash lights and electronics came on as usual when the ignition was turned to on. If you have flickering dash lights the starter relay is probably not your problem.

Why ford would mount a fuse box directly on top of the radiator is mind boggling. That thing gets really hot and has to be the source of some fuse and relay failures.