General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 Edge Soft Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 08:22 PM
Default 2011 Edge Soft Brake Pedal

Hello everyone I am hoping to get some advice on a soft brake pedal issue im experiencing with a 2011 edge. The brakes still function and engage as they should you just have to push the pedal to the floor for them to work. About 2-3 years ago I was having the same issue and came to the conclusion of a faulty brake booster being the cause so I replaced that and everything went back to normal and worked great up until about a month ago i was driving through a construction zone where i hit a large bump and instantly the brake pedal just sunk to the floor. I thought it was possible a air bubble might have gotten dislodged and be the culprit. So I bleed the brakes numerous times with no results. I heard sometimes a valve in the abs can get stuck causing a soft pedal so I drove around a empty parking lot slamming on the bakes and triggering the abs several times to try and unstick it. That didnt work so next i took it to a shop to have the brake fluid flushed and replaced incase there was still air trapped somewhere still with no results. I talked to the mechanic who believed the booster may have gone bad with it again. So with the part still being under warranty i went ahead and replaced the booster a 2nd time and examined all the vacuum lines which seemed good with no obvious damage. That didnt fix it. Next I replaced the master cylinder with no results. Im at a bit of a loss when the car is off i can pump the brake and it becomes stiff after 1 pump like it should be though when i do that i can hear a continuous beep noise under the hood. I thought this must be a leak in one of the lines that I missed but when i unhooked the battery to start looking the beep stopped instantly and I have no idea what that means. My next thought is to replace the abs module but before I do I was hoping someone might have another thought cause I just cant see how hitting a bump would make the abs go bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:34 AM

Unless you open the hydraulic lines somewhere for servicing or the brakes were incorrectly bled, air is not going to enter into a tight system. If you can get atleast a few power assisted pumps of the brake pedal after the engine has been off 10-15 minutes, the booster is working and not leaking. You are just guessing with a critical safety issue at hand.Without a scan tool to activate the ABS, or you did not bench bleed a new M/C, you cannot properly bleed the brakes. Also, a pedal throw adjustment may be needed after changing a booster. Was that checked? Since you are having no success and pretty much guessing, I suggest to have a QUALIFIED technician examine your braking system before you get into an accident.

Last edited by raski; 03-10-2023 at 03:41 AM.