General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Ranger 4.0 5 speed Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Post 93 Ranger 4.0 5 speed Shifting Problems

I have a 93 ranger 4.0 5 speed its hard to get in gear unless im rolling.
When i first start it up it goes right into gear no prob but once im driving for 5, 10 min it gets hard to just put in gear uless forced a lil. I checked the resivor fluid its full bled the slave cylinder that didnt help!! idk wat it could be.. Any help would be appriciated!! Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM

How to check clutch problems in a car, Volume I:
With the key off, the drivetrain not bound up, engage the shifter into each gear. If it goes easily, the problem is not in the trans.
It's a simple rule of thumb, but it works. The job of the clutch is to disconnect the trans from the engine when running. If there is drag (due to a myriad of causes), it will create a hard to shift concern when running.
One other thing to consider. I did warranty work on these when the Ford clutches right out of the box were crap, and I've used aftermarket clutches on these for years. Ford slave clyinders were also always causing problems, as well as the the clutch master clyinders. These used to squeek when the were depressed, which was the first sign they were on the way out.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM

I was working on a 85 F150 once that had a clutch problem for a guy years ago, and I couldn't get it to shift into any gear while it was running. kept thinkin it was a problem with a cylinder master or slave and it wasn't either one. after the third day I finally thought I'd better check the plates and found that one little spring had come out of place in the clutch plate and was stopping the pressure plate from releasing the input shaft from the motor. this little story is true and all I know is he's still driving it last I heard.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM

One other point to mention: the shifting test (eng. off) will also point out if there is an internal trans. problem to a specific gear (example: grinding going into 2nd gear due to a worn synchronizer). This is a great way to differentiate between the clutch and trans.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM

hey Greasemark I think you might have missed something with your little test try it this way with eng. off push clutch in then shift into gear from first then through the rest after setting parking brake or scotch the wheels if brake don't work. I remember when I first learned how to drive a stick they don't always go smoothly into the next gear when the engine isn't running.