General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Taurus surging idle, only in park and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Default 93 Taurus surging idle, only in park and neutral

Seems to run fine. gets good gas millage, but most of the time when put into park, or neutral rpms jump up and down. Some times when going uphill it will lung a couple of times... as if miss firing. But I do not believe that is the problem.
I tried to "reset" the sensors by disconnecting the battery, then upon re connection,......Started car, put in Neutral for one minute, Put in Drive for one minute, and turned the A/C on and off...... Then I put it back in Neutral and the wavering became less and less untill it became steady. Drove 15feet put in Park....and NO promblem! Turned it off, then back on, went through gears,....back to Park, and PROBLEMS! Again idle jumping in Park. But now when I put it in neutral for a minute it will eventually resume to normal idle.
Any ideas?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM

I suggest looking for vacuum leaks. I had this loping idle with my Windstar and the reason was a vacuum leak.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM

This would be much more helpful for us if you could get an old fart like me that made a bazillion dollars off these cars to read the codes (this is EEC-IV, the older type of fuel injection). I'd bet that it has a throttle position sensor code.
The old 3.0L engine used a one piece intake manifold that had the throttle body cast into it. They wore, and created this very problem. Another fertile area to check is the IAC valve.
These engine were known for vacuum leaks, but usually they show themselves more with poor milage and major performance problems. Let us know!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM

I tried to have somebody read it, but getting a reading for OBD 1 is hard. There are no lights on. Doesnt seem to be throwing any codes. I am going to try and clean the Idle Air Control Valve. Just for ****s and giggles before I buy a new one.
I am sorry that mechanics are suffering right now, but I am to. Just dont have the money to run straight to the shop. It might be a vacuum leak, but the cruise control works, and it "fixes itself" every once and a while. Thought maybe EGR, but took the hose off the top, and it didnt do anything.
Sooo, cleaning IAC with mass air flow censer cleaner is my next step! Will let you know how it goes!
Samantha

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Sam:
Search Youtube for "finding a vacuum leak"
Here is an example:

Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 AM

well.... WOOHOO! Think that this was my problem. Took Idle Air Control Vavle off... really dirty, cleaned it pretty well. Could prolly do it again, but it seems to have worked! I am probly going to have to replace this anyways but at least I have narrowed it down to this.
Once IAC valve was back it place, wavering RPM went away. Took it for a test drive and its even shifting smoother. No more slamming in reverse, which my guess is because no more high idling. I bet it will stay cooler in stop and go traffic to.
Turning off and on, upon immediate start up I still have a small waver, but only one or two times untill it finds its idle then its smooth sailing!!
Because this cleaning has had such an affect, I am putting my bet on this being the only problem, but if you think differently please let me know.
I hope this can help somebody else with similar problems one day.
Samantha

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM

P.S. I do kinda know how to find most vacuum leaks. And buying a Haynes repair manual will at least be good for knowing the location of everything on the car. Think I am going to go buy one just to have it!
Samantha

Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Super!
Sam: when something goes wrong the computer tries to adjust. Once you fix what's wrong the computer has to adjust again. So give it a week or so.

You got this right with the Haynes manual. It tells you where stuff is, what to call it and it gives some data points for testing and torque values for proper tightening.

Carry on, Sam!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM

And purchasing a Haynes fix guide will at least be excellent for understanding the place of everything on the car. Think I am going to go buy one just to have it!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Indeed, the Haynes Manual is the first accessory I buy for any car in our family.

Quick Reply: 93 Taurus surging idle, only in park and neutral