General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Explorer/Single overhead cam timing chain noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Default 98 Explorer/Single overhead cam timing chain noise

Can anyone help me? I have a 98 Explorer with timing chain noise. As i understand in the US there was a fault with the timing chain tensioners in the single overhead cam models 97/98 and Ford recalled these vehicles and repaired them free of charge. Is there any evidence to suggest the Explorer's imported to Australia had the same problem as Ford are refusing to repair my vehicle unless i pay the cost of th repair. Also are there any differences to the engine design between the US and Australian models, mainly with regard to the timing chain or tensioners? Any information would be appreciated.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Default RE: 98 Explorer/Single overhead cam timing chain noise

the ford dealer has an upgraded tensioner adjuster kit, the secerate is that you change the oil often and use 10w-30 oil only, Never go over on your oil change and never use 15w40 oil. unless you own your own engine rebuilding shop. cheers Gary

Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 PM

it wasnt a recall here in canada but a tsb a service bullitin so people over the warranty still paid ,still have a couple with noise but customers dont want to pay the big bill to get it fixed and i dont really blame them....

Old 11-13-2005, 02:19 PM

If you have a chain noise only at start-up, then the 00-m-12 recall kit will work for you. it involves removing the upper and lower intake manifolds, replacing the tensioner, inserting a plastic rod to increase oil pressure and installing new gaskets for the intake. They killed 2 birds with one stone in this recall. By replacing the gaskets, they eleminated a common vacuum leak.
If it's a constant chain rattle, then it's the chain guides at the front of the engine for bank 2 (cyl's 4-6) and the guides in the rear of the engine for bank 1 (cyl's 1-3). This is a more extensive/expensive repair and not something a backyard mechanic will want to tackle, in fact, even Ford techs cringe at the thought of having to do it.

At any rate, good luck. If the rattle goes away after a second or two, go to your Ford dealer and purchase the 00-m-12 recall kit. It's a pretty easy repair, even if it doesn't seem that way from the top. If it's a constant rattle, suck it up and take your money to a repair shop and have it done right. You can email me if you have other questions.

Vicor