General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Module replacement NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Default ABS Module replacement NEED HELP!

Hello I have a 2009 Ford Escape XLT. I recently took my car to a reputable mechanic and they are asking $1700 to put a new factory fits ABS module in my car. Also replacing an ABS rear speed sensor. He has told me that in the past he has put used abs modules in cars and have had bad results. My question is I see rebuilt abs modules online for about $300-$500. Is it worth putting $1700 in a car I paid $3200 for. Is a factory brand new abs module worth it or can I get away with buying a rebuilt one for cheaper and having put it in. Maybe I should shop around for different quotes. Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:40 AM

You never mentioned what your exact braking symptom was. I would get another opinion and an estimate, maybe two.
What you paid for it and actual market value are two different things. Determine what your Escape is actually worth before ditching it.
Finally, I have always been against people buying their own parts and having their mechanic install them. First, you deny your shop from making any money. Second, you are waiving all liability from your shop in providing a warranty on the work performed. Your parts fails next week or doesn't work out of the box, it's your problem and you pay for additional labor as it should be.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:44 AM

There are many things you can probably find cheaper to install on your vehicle., but for brakes, could very well be one of those ,"Pay now or pay later". things.

Aside from the items mentioned earlier , why would anyone want to install cheap parts on a braking system? If you find a shop that will install your cheap parts ,especially for braking systems, that will be a first, plus every time you step on the brake pedal you can only hope they work as intended. Not a good idea at all.