General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AODE Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Default AODE Problem

1998 Lincoln LSC
4.6 DOHC

I hope there is someone in this forum that knows just about everything about the AODE transmission.

I bought this car about a year ago knowing the transmission shift patterns were all screwed up. Knowing basically nothing about the AODE, I brought it to a local transmission shop and asked the guy to put a shift kit in it to make the shifts crisp and positive instead of the mish-mosh shifts it was making.

After giving the tranny a clean bill of health he made the mods to the valvebody. When I gave it a road test through the side streets it felt really good. The problem is in the converter lockup. It almost feels (and sounds) like it is making 6 shifts. 1, 2, 3, 3 lockup, 3 unlock, 4(OD), 4 lockup, unlock, lockup again. Also, when cruising in OD the lockup releases, then locks up... in and out and continuously cycles about every 30 seconds. 3rd does the same thing when driving under 45mph. There is no lockup chatter. Just doesn't stay in regardless of how you are on the pedal.

Just don't understand it. Maybe the TV cable?

Old 01-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Default RE: AODE Problem

What you have is not a AODE it is the 4R70W. Come on over to where I hang out regularly: Lincolnsonline.com.
We got alot of knowledgeable folks over there who could probably help you out.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Default RE: AODE Problem

Have your mechanic check out the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid. That is what it sounds like. Also check to be sure the brake light switch is adjusted properly. The Throttle Position sensor also will also cause the problems you describe.