General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blown fuse for brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Default Blown fuse for brake lights

My Dad has a 1990 E-150 van that keeps blowing the fuse for the brake lights. I replaced the brake light switch,but the problem is still there. What size fuse should be used? It had a 20 amp in it.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Default fuse

The fuse will blow if you have a short circuit in the brake light system.
If the fuse blows before you operate the brake, the short is in the wire feeding the switch. Replace this wire.
If the fuse blows after you apply the brake pedal, the short is in the wire from the brake light switch to the rar of the van.
to test... disconnect the wire from the brake light switch that feeds the brake lights, operate the pedal. if the fuse blows.. replace the wire from the switch to the brake light.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM

sometimes a bulb will short out inside the base and cause this problem i would check the brake light bulbs first

Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Default 1997 Taurus brake light blow when engage in Drive only

My 1197 Ford Taurus will blow fuse only when you engage the car in drive with the engine started, I do not get this problem at any other time until I have the running and place the gear in Drive.... I have replaced the Brake Switch, Bulbs, Neutral Switch. I can engage the gears while pressing the brake and the fuse will not blow. The moment I have the car running and place the gears in any other gear no problem. As soon as the gear shift to drive with the engine running, the fuse blow..

Any solution I am open to work with.....

Thanks so much for any and all help you supply......

Cbrown2656....

Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM

which fuse is blowing? does the fuse blow with ignition on but engine not running? my guess would be you have a stray wire strand in the steering column that makes contact when you put the shift lever in gear. the movement of the linkage or the vibration of the engine running is rubbing against a bare wire and blowing the fuse.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Lars(Wi)
You are right on the head, the wire that sounds the buzzer when the key is in the ignition has broken inside the ignition lock. I will replace this wire but do not know where to get but the junk yard.... Thank you so much I have been workingh with this for about 4years and I was detarmind to get to the root cause before letting go of a vehicle that is fully paid for..... I will go to tyhe junk yard and get one and replace it and take care of my problem.. This is my very first time placing my own request out like this and you have made me a believer in this site... Thanks so much and if I am able to help, I will do all I can to help in any way..... I will keep you posted.... thanks

Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Lars (wi) it is the Brake light Fuse that blows 15 amps....