General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Did the factory road test damaged my new car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Unhappy Did the factory road test damaged my new car?

Newbie needs advice...I went to pick-up my brand new 2011 Lincoln MKT last week. To my surprise, it had over 100km and there were a number of damages to the car:

-Big 18" x 1/8" vertical wavy scratch INSIDE the windshield on the driver side
-Small scratches all over the paint and plastic trims
-One perforated speaker on the rear passenger side door
-Driver side metallic sill plate badly scratched

Obviously, I refused to take delivery. The dealer agreed to change the damaged components and got the following information from his REP at the plant to explain the high mileage:

>> 2011 MKT Serial Number: BBJ520xx , MKT AWD
>>
>> Rotation/Job Number: 5517
>> Shipped Date: 04-Nov-2010
>>
>> Mileage: 98km (due to road test by Plant Inspection Manager)
>> Damage: None
>> Campaign Description:
>> A2S - Squeak and rattle test - Good
>> CY1 - Q D47X 3rd Row - Good
>> CY2 - Q U38X + MKT Blind - Good
>> DA1 - ! D47X Power Front - Good

What kind of testing is that? Just a manager taking the car home for the week? The big question is should I wait 3 months for a new order or take this "repaired" car with $500 rebate?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM

How are they going to fix the scratches in the paint? New windshield? That much $ damage would normally force Ford to sell the vehicle as a used unit, not new. The last time I worked a a FORD dealership, any new vehicle that had $500 or more in damage had to be sold as a used vehicle regarless of whether the damage was repaired or not. The amount may be higher now-a-days. I would check into this. You might be able to get a very price buggy for an even better price. AND, the vehicle will still have the factory warranty.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Default Did the factory road test damaged my new car?

Scratches in the paint are minor so they don't plan on fixing those. I can live with that. They will replace the other plastic/metal components.

The windshield has already been replaced by their shop, it looks good to me... except that when I inspected the car again today, I saw that the THX speaker grill in the middle of the dash was bent, probably during windshield repair... They will replace it.

The lower black plastic part of the rear bumper was scratched (new damage?), mostly underneath, that pissed me off. They said they would get an evaluation from a company specializing in repairing that kind of damage. I don't really see what they can do but make it worst... The dealer doesn't want to replace that part. He gave me a $50 additional discount .

Buying this car has turned into my worst nightmare. I kind of need it right now because my newborn girl isn't too compatible with a 1992 Eagle Talon.

I don't know of any law that would force them to sell that vehicle as used here in Ottawa but it is an interesting angle that I am already checking further, I found this for PA:

http://www.ihatethislemon.com/new_ve...damage_act.htm

Thanks

Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 AM

Don't be forced into a vehicle that you'll settle for now due to your requirements and then kick yourself in the butt a month or so down the road. Seen it too many times from others. I would personally tell the Dealrship to keep the vehicle and do a LOCATE for an identical vehicle and do a DEALER TRADE for it. For what they want for a Lincoln, I would not settle for less than a perfect ride. I made the Dealership replace one rim/tire on our new MKZ for a small blemish in the clearcoat on the rim. With a $44,000 sticker price for our new MKZ, I get a 100% new vehicle. If we wanted used, we would have kept our 2008 Sable.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

What the dealer is doing is not unusual. They need to get rid of this car and get it off the books. Unfortunately, the following may well apply:
" The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of price is forgotten" !
Also the price isn't really that sweet , unless you're the dealer.
It appears you are looking at what we would call a DEMO and as always, Buyer Beware !

Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it.

A new car had already been ordered for me (after they tried to locate one in Canada, stock MKT are not that common... and apparently all the factory orders for the next 3 months are "sold cars" none are for stock) but in the end, I took delivery of the "damaged car" only after spending over 3 hours going over it inch by inch, the dealer was a bit pissed . After seeing the factory email saying they put 98KM on quality testing, I was MOSTLY satisfied it was not a DEMO car.

All the damages were cosmetic and once everything is fixed, whatever is left I can live with, only some minor scratches, Knowing me, I will put more scratches in the first few months....

In going through the negotiation/price change on the computer, the general sales manager was trying to impress me by suppressing a $50 gas surcharge in addition to the already agreed $500, I was not impressed... God must have been on my side on that day because I got in reality a $1200 additional rebate . Number crunching and handling multiple versions of a purchase agreement must not be his thing . I didn't feel sorry, this guy really needs an attitude adjustment.

I feel I got a great price for here in Canada (pricing here sucks compared to the US), there were really a lot of incentives in September ($1000 Costco, $1000 Ford finance, Ford employee pricing discount, $3000 factory rebate) and I negotiated %2.2 below that. With the $1200 discount, the dealer must be left with a %1.8 margin.

Chris