General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

e40d Overdrive problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Default e40d Overdrive problems.

I just got a 1996 5.0 f150. Truck has an e40d trans that was working fine til a few days ago. when I get up to 50 when it tries to shift into 4th(OD) it won't connect and just revs. I am now driving with od off(light on). The light does not blink when I turn the truck on or while driving. I have not ran codes. I have drained and replaced atf (used oil pump though, have not had the time to drop the pan)

Has this happened to anyone? How can I fix this without going to a mechanic? Could it be speed sensor? Wiring?(fuses are good btw) or is my TC burnt and I would have to take it into the shop?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 PM

There was a problem where the OD servo lock ring had broken causing a problem like that. You would have to lower the trans pan and find the broken pieces. If you decide to tackle the job let us know.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM

I would like to do it all myself. I work late so i would be able to do it on monday. I would greatly appreciate what i need to do. What i need to have before i start the job. I purchased gasket and filter. Ive read the solenoid could be a problem...Should i replace it?

Replacing the servo ring... this a big fix?

Thanks for responding so quickly hanky!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM

And can I do this by just dropping the pan? This has to be a day-2day project. Thanks.

Anyone else that has some information would be great.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 AM

Not knowing what tools you have to work with this may involve dropping the valve body to look for broken parts,,,,, if this is the problem. Once you lower the pan to change the filter you will notice there is a group of solenoids together and you may need to replace the solenoid body, but I don't know if a solenoid is the problem. i would suggest that you get a book to use as a guide before getting too involved.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Take it from a well-usued tranny tech that did this for years: This is a rebuild.
In these years, the coast clutch snap ring usually came loose, got caught on the O/D support, and destroyed a lot of stuff. As long as you have the 'older' style internal parts (which it sounds like), they were cast iron, and you can reuse the drums. IIn the newer style (which had stamped drums, and are much thinner), it usually caused very major damage.
And, if you use a multi-plate torque convertor on the rebuild with a good (Transgo) shift kit, the rebuild will easily last much, much longer then the original.
Good luck!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Codes came back P0401 and P1400. Both are EGR codes which at the moment aren't my concern. One thing I have noticed. When I start the truck all lights turn on. And the ABS light stays on for an extra few seconds. I have read the ABS system is also the speed sensor. Could this be something?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM

You may find the suggested post interesting, if you search the posts on this site by
kbrajen dated 07-08-2010. Might help might not it's worth a try. Relates to the O/D loss problem.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Quick Reply: e40d Overdrive problems.