General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Excursion diesel with Manual Air/ FUMES

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Default Excursion diesel with Manual Air/ FUMES

Does anyone know if you can retrofit to the automatic air system from the manaul A/C system I have in my XLT diesel. With the manual mode air, you cannot use the heat in recirculation mode. You can only pull "fresh" air for heat. Unfortunately, when I do this the truck fills up with diesel fumes. My father in law has a Limited Excursion with the Automatic System. That system allows you to adjust air temperture in the recirculation mode. The manual system does not allow you to adjust air temperture in recirculation mode. Basically, you can only use air conditioning (at its coldest level) in recirc. mode. Please help! Its not safe more my child or pregnant wife to be inhaling diesal fumes.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Default RE: Excursion diesel with Manual Air/ FUMES

hauserc,
Don't know if its a plug and play, but some things are like; the radio, and heated mirrows,. Maybe you can get your father-in-law to let you try his?
Or you can try this:
Open or remove the glove box.
Behind it you will see the inlet for the recir. air.
It opens when vacuum is applied to the diaphram.
I think the hose going to it is white, and the one coming from the vac source is black.
Disconnect the white one and plug it, then 'T' into the black one, this will cause the recir. door to stay open at all times.
The problem is that it may get to hot in the vehicle if you don't keep a close eye on the temp inside.
Good luck and let us know what you do

Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Thanks for your response. I got some info from a ford master service tech. He said to remove the small vaccuum tube from the coolant shutoff valve. Suprisingly, the dealer was willing to do this considering I had no idea where the vacuum tube or coolant shutoff valve was located. (It is located at the top of the engine compartment on the passenger side near the firewall). In any event, I now can control the temperture in Max (Recirculation) A/C mode. I just cant understand why Ford would add the extra expense of adding this particular tube and cutoff valve to prevent using the heat in recirculation mode. An auto manufacturer would not spend the extra money w/o a reason. Any guesses?

Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM

The only problem with that is the A/C compressure will be running when you're trying to heat the car. I guess this is not so bad, its a diesel and souldn't spend that much more fuel, and must car run the A/C in defrost mode.
As for the cut-off valve, its much easier to heat a car than to cool it, so the valve diverts the hot coolant when your trying to cool the car on hot summer days