General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

F-250 starting problems..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Default F-250 starting problems..

Howdy folks,im new to this forum, but I have a problem i cant figure out and hopefully someone might have some ideas. Yesterday morning I started my truck up like everyday to go to work, started up fine. I get back to the shop after work, hop in my truck to go home,and It wont even turn over, the battery voltage was a big 0. So we tried popping the clutch and nothing still, it wouldnt even try to start. What I noticed later, my plug lighter adapter for my cdplayer had the power light on, but when I turned the key into the on position the light turned off. I did notice a plug in my dash that was unhooked, never noticed it before, never really looked, when i tried plugging it in , it made a loud buzzing noise.. Also when hooked up to the battery charger, and tried starting it, the starter or something made a loud buzzing noise..Im at a loss , miss my old VW

Old 07-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: F-250 starting problems..

Welcome to the site..

What engine is in your 250?

The problem with trying to start a newer engine with low/to no voltage, is that the 'minimum' voltage requirement has to be met for the PCM, fuel pump ect.. And with the cranking load added to 'already' low batteries, generally the voltage will drop well below that needed voltage during a crank/start attempt.. Even worse for the diesels since they have a critical minimum cranking RPM that needs to be metfor the injectors to fire.. Even though at times the cranking speed 'sounds' ok..

When jumping a dead system, some of the most common problems I see is that the jumper cables usually are 'bargain' units and the cables core diameter is usually very small gauge wire and can't handle the heavy amp draws of an assisted start.. Or, that when using a charger, it's generally a low amp unit that can't or doesn't have a start mode for the higher needed amps.. Most will do the job, both charger and cables, but require a long charge time to get the battery up to spec. voltage or close too.

If the chargers hooked up and the engine is cranked on a low battery, they'll generally rattle the starter/solenoid, or growl with the low volts/amps and the large draw from the starter..

Whats the age of the battery/s? If the add-on items, like chargers ect.have too much of a parasitic draw on aged/timed out batteries, could be an issue..As could connections ect.. There's always the possibility of a shorted battery/cell, and a full charge and then a load test should give you an idea of the battery state.. Also a good idea after a complete charge, is totest the system total draw (key off) on the battery by using a volt/ohm meter,especially if the battery is a newer unit.. More so if the truck were to sit for long periods of time, with multiple add on chargers/components.. If you can post a pic of that connector, I can probably tell you which it is....

I 'bet' that 250 was a slightly heavier push than that old VW Think they made those old V-dubs lite for a reason...

Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 AM

thanks for the welcome,, the engine is a inline 6yl 300 qb inch 4.9 liter. As for the age of the battery, its old, as well as my alternator and starter.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 AM

oh yea its a 1991