General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford Five Hundred AWD starter prob.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Talking Ford Five Hundred AWD starter prob.

06 Ford Five Hundred AWD

I just joined the forum and wish to relate some possible cost saving to those that have "starter issues" that result in a whining noise when trying to start at times. The sound is like a solenoid gone bad.

I have spend countless dollars in replacement parts in effort to resolve this issue without any success. (I couldn't find my problem here, may have just overlooked it, or most likely couldn't find it for lack of experience in navigating) So, just give me some credit for now "I'm learning"...

After some research I found that the Five Hundred was a three year project, and was destined to be curtailed at the end of this time period provided sales and overall performance did not rank equal to competition. Consumers complaints skyrocketed the first year the Five Hundred hit the streets.

One of the issues was the exact same as mentioned above that I had with the starter. It was apparent that the combination starter, solenoid, and works, being one unit did not mesh in prospective with the engines flywheel.
This discovery alone varied from car to car on the assembly line and was a disaster in its self.
A quick solution to the problem was to use shim stock at the lower bolt of the starter (two bolts top, bottom, and two dowel pins holds the starter) to allow the teeth of the flywheel to mesh and create a better bite.

The starter whine in my particular case was progressively getting worse to the point of being possibly stranded someplace.

I removed the starter, checked the teeth of the flywheel, and was able to see the bite marks that was only a small portion of the teeth. It only takes a few thousands of ware to cause the starter to spin-out and create the sound, not to mention NOT STARTING.

I solved this problem I had using a feeler gauge to compensate the voided space between the motor and the bottom of the starter. When lifting the starter upward toward the flywheel I could feel the teeth when they bottomed out. I backed off guessing ".010 ".

I ended up using .060 shim stock (one piece) purchased at Advance Auto for less than $4. One end of the stock had a hole that fit snug with the mounting bolt (bottom only) for the starter. I had to cut approx. 1.5" off the stock as it was over length and the dowel pin was in the way.

So far..after many, many starts "I regained" some lost respect for this car.
It's a great ride provided one can deal with the many infractions due mainly to "Haste Makes Wastes" and engineering blunders.

Will I buy another Ford, lol "I can certainly forgive" as that's the right thing to do.. but when I think about what it has cost me to keep its wheels rolling I have to go outside and feed the birds!

I have a couple of friends that poke fun in respect to all the DIY projects I've dealt with this car.

I hope I have shared my experience that helped someone here. Great place to be a member, as I'm sure I'll be needing the help of you guys down the road . Handwriting on the wall.

Last edited by Cobrah; 04-01-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanks for sharing the fix with us.
I was among the many that used to blame the engineering and then I found it wasn't always their fault. Some of that blame should be shared with the "bean counters" that feel they need to shave costs . Cut a little here, a little there and when the engineering dept sees what they did to their nice job the engineers throw up their hands and a lot of time spent goes out the window. Makes you wonder.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Hey, Hanky

I know you are so right concerning engineering . I worked for USS for over twenty three years in a management position and seen first hand the conflicts between "doing it right"...and the "let's shave the cost factors".

Shaving the cost has it's place Hanky in the automotive industry one may think. I feel to the opposite side of the table. When we look at the salaries that definitely impact the final cost of the car, and the in plant neglect of quality control issues (Q.C.) and resolving them, is going to take it's toll Hanky!
So, where is there "patriotism" ? Are you kidding me..the day of the 57 Chevy Bel-Air, 57 Ford Thunderbird, split glass Corvette, to name a few, quadruples in price . We no longer design /or make auto's is the reason. Gonna happen Hanky !

My brother works for xx motor company in Shreveport La. as mgr. of opr. in plant. The automotive industry in the "U.S. made vehicle's" has been on the decline due to mechanical failures / poor craftsmanship of interior and other.
You see Hanky, this is why "When you buy a new car under warranty" the dealership looks for an escape route if it's HIGH COST REPAIR! Or the mfg. refuses to accommodate the buyer.

Sorry to say Hanky "Greed for money's" and the lack of "close tolerance Q.C." such as S.P.C. ( Statistical Process Control ) that was invented by a doctor of math here in the good ole U.S.A. that tried to sell his formula to the automotive industry that was respectfully declined.

He then traveled to the foreign region in effort to sell his formula and was welcomed with open arm's ! Check it out, then came perfection to it's ultimate! A car getting 300,000 or higher based on the secrete of SPC and owner's care of the car !

I'm sorry to say Hanky, " we may live to see the day, and it's certainly a fact" we are being beat out with stiff competition ! Local Ford dealerships are now selling Honda's and other's.

Last edited by Cobrah; 04-02-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM

You know you struck a nerve and customer loyalty was something manufacturers were proud to attain and respected it too.
I believe they have a duty to stockholders, but without loyal customers and decent
products they won't need stockholders and we might all meet on that longgggg unemployment line!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Angry

Hanky,

You know not so long ago I was up in the snow belt of Ohio and was traveling through a town called Circleville , commonly known as "round town" . It's a small community and most of the residence farm land and are good down to earth people.

Inside the outskirts of the town just happens to be a plant that specializes in molded plastics, using injection molding . The founder and owner of this plant once was an employee of U.S.S. (United States Steel) in Pittsburg (home office) rumor has it he was terminated "that's not confirmed".

He moved to Circleville with little monies to support his family , and ONE DAY he convinced a bank to loan him enough monies to start a business. He was granted the monies and spend most of it on a used injection press, and was able to lease a little barn type structure to put the press in.

Hanky, I'm not sure what this man did in the home office of U.S.S. it's almost a miracle as if he was "God sent " to the little town of Circleville. Today his run down leaking barn, and "one injection press" has turned into a multi-million dollar business.
He offers and pays for all who wishes to continue there education within his employee. Now get this, if your grade equivalent COLLEGE!!!

Hanky, I know you are in the back of your mind thinking "that's supper for Circleville, Ohio" well read on my friend. His plant now has hundreds of employees and it's just guess work as to his profits. And to show you how country the town is They Still Have what's called The Annual Pumpkin Day".

Lol ..before the major impact of foreign automobiles in the U.S.A. he solicited there business. This includes ALL the foreign cars you see on the road.

He knew about SPC, as U.S.S. was pushing all there plants to implement it! The automotive plants in USA declined the opportunity based on the reason "it's to timely" and costly to educate our Quality Control.

Ha..tell ya what do Hanky, the very next time you pull behind a foreign made car , the tail lights are favorably made by the plastic plant in Circleville Ohio ! How did they get this job ? It's called perfection, not one scratch, one fingerprint , or flaw.

Lol, just check it out ..the same procedure is used in "Japanese" motors, trans. and other, not defined.
Honda, Toyota, use the S.P.C. in mfg.. of there motors. Not sure about there competition .

That's why I say, "we dropped the ball" Hanky, when the automotive industry would not give the S.P.C. a chance here in the U.S. for fear of loosing monies !

Hello automotive industry, your overseas auto makers are now going to take your business. Our recourse is " I'll sell your car then .. Whoopee Goldberg " what a stroke of genus.

You see Hanky , that's why I said from the beginning .. the quadruple in price of those loved cars we have had in the USA are now only memories. IF you have one , it will pay you huge dividends !

It' a sad circumstance

Last edited by Cobrah; 04-04-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 AM

Could it be the auto manufacturers want to have their parts made outside the country because of the quality of their work, I think not! I believe there may be a car or two that are made here with American components, but not sure. There were times when our neighbors to the north made a lot of American auto parts and the quality was good. Then little by little the parts were made elsewhere and the quality went down along with the price and yet the overall price of the vehicle went up. Does that tell you something? You get what you pay for went out the window as well.