General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford Focus TDCI problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Default Ford Focus TDCI problem.

Hi all. I've just recently bought a Ford Focus tdci. Great car just a problem has developed with it. It seems to sometimes have a loss of power with a juddering feeling then accompianed with a low metallic roaring noise. Also sometimes it will release a cloud of black smoke while doing this , but not always. I'm really worried it might be something bad as I've only just bought the car and I'm not very mechanically minded. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks SHUCK.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by blackshuck999
Hi all. I've just recently bought a Ford Focus tdci. Great car just a problem has developed with it. It seems to sometimes have a loss of power with a juddering feeling then accompianed with a low metallic roaring noise. Also sometimes it will release a cloud of black smoke while doing this , but not always. I'm really worried it might be something bad as I've only just bought the car and I'm not very mechanically minded. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks SHUCK.
From my VERY LIMITED experience with Diesels, black smoke means poor combustion because of too much fuel or too little air. Since yours is turbo, the problem could come from either injection problems (too much fuel being injected at times) or the turbo spinning down (thus cutting the normal air supply) due to mechanical problems.

Your turbine should make a very faint, high-pitched sound if running properly - this should be especially obvious when stepping up on the "gas" pedal. Have you ever heard the turbo squeaking? That would be a sign of running without proper lubrication, which is a sure sign that death is near...

You said you heard a roaring noise ... did that sound like moving parts scratching against fixed parts, or just rumble from the engine?

If you don't already have a turbo boost gauge on the dash, try connecting a pressure gauge to the intake (downstream from the turbo) and keep an eye on the air intake pressure while you drive, especially when you get the problems you described... This may be a good starting point.

Is your OBD system putting out any codes? Do you get any warning lights on the dashboard? Did you try connecting a scanner to the diagnostic port and see what the engine has to say in this matter?

HTH ... let us know what you find. Good luck!