General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frankenford

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Default Frankenford

Hi guys. First thread and it's a doozy. 1986 F-150 w/ God-knows-what 302 swapped in. Auto tranny. Here's where it gets weird. Previous owner pulled the EEC-IV and dropped in a GM H.E.I. distributor. Starts and runs great, but I can't get her to charge properly. Alternator (also a Rube Goldberg) is 60-65 amp motorcraft w/ internal voltage regulator. It has been tested TWICE and shows full output (14.6-14.9v). Installed and running in the truck, however, I show only 12.25v no load, 12.03 w/load. Iknow the gauge is working as it, along with two other testers, shows a VERY slight charge indication at idle (no load) and the aforementioned 12.03 w/load. Please help.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Where are you taking your readings from?
Where did the other testers take their readings from?
If both were taken from the same place , one of the readings is incorrect.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:13 PM

I took both readings (no load and load) at the battery with a multimeter and also with a hand-held battery/charge/load tester. Readings were identical when read with a power probe at the BAT+ terminal on the alternator. don't know if this is relevant, but when I took on this nightmare the starter would remain engaged with the engine running. Turns out my predecessor reversed the wiring at the fender-mounted start solenoid. As I said, that has been rectified. if any photos will help, I will provide whatever I can. Thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Also, it seems to me that the voltage regulator isn't provided the excitement needed to set the charging system in motion. Does that make sense?