General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ground problem in Focus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Default RE: Ground problem in Focus?

hey guys, just an update. Took the car to Ford today to see if they would look at the door ajar issue (because it seemed to be related to the rear recall they did.) They spent almost an hour on it and then finally came back and told me that my problems are:
1. rear luggage compartment lid ajar circuit failure. ie- I need a new sensor, which means I need to get a new latch.
2. The ABS light is apparently due to the left rear wheel speed sensor input circuit failure. This needs to be replaced.

My question is.... what do you guys think of this? Because it still seems weird to be that both lights came on within 5 minutes of each other- out of nowhere. Also this does not explain the fact that when I use the back wiper, the brake light comes on and the door ajar light flickers, not to mention the headlight electrical issue. Should I go ahead and fix these two things they mentioned? Or should I look for a second opinion... I am so confused... and don't want to fix these things and then find out that it really IS an electrical issue- and not to do with these 'problems' at all.
Help!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 AM

This is fun...my girlfriend also has a 2000 focus wagon. We were going thru all kinds of fun electrical issues. It started with the guage sweep, then the spedometer sticking at 140, random stuff, massive terminal corrosion, then it got serious. She had the car completely die on the highway...everything out, electrical plus engine stall. This happened 2 times in one day and i took the beast to the butcher (service). I did the usual research and went armed with recall printouts, none of which applied but seemed very simillar.

It turned out to be the positive battery cable was almost completely burned thru (I think near the exhaust manifold). $351 later and we are good. I'm going to have her call ford and report this. Seems like I've read quite a bit about people in the same situation. Sounds to me like they need to extend the recall to a few other vins in 2000.

good luck...and look at your positive terminal cable.
dan and amy

Old 01-07-2006, 12:41 AM

I'm pretty sure they checked that (my dad and bf and doing most of the work... I just stand there and pretend Im being helpful), but I will ask them both and probably check it again.
It's nice to know though that at least someone else out there is having this problem... I'm having a hard time finding any information about people in the same position... everyone else seems to have different symptoms.